Large canvases

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I have just under a dozen large stretched canvases, 60 x 80cm, going free to anyone who wants them: they were given to me from a deceased artist's stock - but I don't paint to that size, really don't want to, and these are anyway fairly cheap cotton duck; they'd be fine for playing about with, experimenting with, even for serious painting on a not entirely professional surface: Belgian linen they ain't.  I know I live miles away from most of you on POL, but there must be someone who could battle their way through to Niton Undercliff, near Ventnor - if I get no response here, I'll offer them to my nearest arts centre, but I thought I'd try POL first. 
An art college would snap them up I’m sure…I must confess that I’ve downsized myself, I don’t paint large paintings these days!
I have just under a dozen large stretched canvases, 60 x 80cm, going free to anyone who wants them: they were given to me from a deceased artist's stock - but I don't paint to that size, really don't want to, and these are anyway fairly cheap cotton duck; they'd be fine for playing about with, experimenting with, even for serious painting on a not entirely professional surface: Belgian linen they ain't.  I know I live miles away from most of you on POL, but there must be someone who could battle their way through to Niton Undercliff, near Ventnor - if I get no response here, I'll offer them to my nearest arts centre, but I thought I'd try POL first. 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 04/02/2024 12:43:31
Hi Robert. Are they bargain bucket cheap, or cheap professional range?
Well, I didn't buy them - one of them might be cheap professional range; the others I should say were a bit on the bargain-bucket side; made by Milomax Ltd, 300gsm cotton canvas.  All but one of them are stapled to the stretcher, one is tacked, which suggests a rather better construction.  Oddly, they describe the stretcher-keys as "hooks" - there's no way in the world such things are hooks - they're superficially OK: tight on the stretchers, cellophane wrapped (apart from one, which I unwrapped, thinking of using it - obviously, an idea I abandoned).  They contain a small packet of silicon, and the date on the one I've pulled out to look at is 7/2009.   I haven't Googled Milomax Ltd - might be worth doing.  The stretchers look pretty good - you could always dispense with the cotton canvas and stretch a nice bit of linen over them: I say YOU could, because I'd make a god-awful mess of it if I tried to.
Okay. Thanks buddy