Sir Alfred Munnings

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I do like his horses but not all , he obviously painted the greatest  horses around at the time . Even the cavalry mounts are excellent horses and in prime condition, I’m looking to see a couple of cart horses or a poor old nag among them.  As Alan said horses are not the easiest of subjects to draw or paint. As to the man himself , if we dismissed his artistic talent because of his attitude, behaviour we are the one that would loose out as it would if we applied it to any artist .  I don’t  like the milkman’s beard and he swears at his kids , better cancel the milk it might not be  that fresh is what would be happening next. 
I see the site is having one of its fun days, duplicating posts!  I agree with you all, and disagreed with my landlady - she couldn't get over his "bigoted" views; and he was President of the Royal Academy at the time (succeeded shortly after this demonstration by Sir Gerald Kelly, a far more tolerant man who defused the controversy over Spencer, and stopped him from being charged).  Munnings could paint - and indeed sculpt, which he learned just by doing it; but you perhaps did need to be besotted by horses to fully appreciate him - and while there has been the occasional horse with whom I've got on very well, I don't find them especially interesting as subjects - other than in the challenge they pose to anyone attempting to draw and paint them.   Munnings would not be the only outwardly coarse, loud, opinionated, and occasionally sozzled man - he was drunk when he made one of his comments on Picasso, captured on air - to have a deeply sensitive, gentler side tucked away, revealed by his actual work.  He would have been a gift to radical students of his day - a wonderful hate figure for them, almost fashioned to their purpose.  As always - nuance gets lost when extreme views are being exchanged: something else that isn't exactly new - and remains true today.
I'm just impressed that Paul has still got a milkman.
I do admire his work and he's far from the worst of 'dodgy' artists.  Horses are beautiful creatures and difficult to draw and paint.  Clearly he's a master with these animals.  He did paint other subjects.   Here's Gala Day... ...Susan at the fair... ...but horses in some form seem to be his mainstay.  Here's one I like.  Suffolk Horse Fair.
I do wish he'd moved on beyond horses!  But he was clearly a fine figure painter - it's really quite a pity that we know so much about him; keep it quiet!  Trouble is, the intake of booze does tend to let it all out. Plainly, he wasn't always well-oiled: some of his paintings are beautifully observed; but I can't get beyond that television broadcast of so many years ago, when, in praising Churchill, he did rather slurp out his alcoholically enabled prejudices.  And yet - I know of a very highly admired US painter (admired not least by me) who believes that Picasso sent the art world on a wholly wrong path; and I CAN see the sense of that, since Picasso did break a mould and sent us off along a very different route.  The idea/theory isn't exactly wrong, just not generally accepted.   Munnings was not wrong - in my opinion - he just had a different perception.   Does it matter that he drank like a thirsty fish?  Well, no - provided he wasn't sluicing the stuff back by the litre when he expressed his opinions.  
I found this painting and sketch of a friend which I quite like. The horse painting is more relaxed than most of his presumably commissioned pieces, and the sketch is of a friend in Paris, obviously capturing the moment! I’d have to say like Tony, I’m not excited or moved by the main body of his work, while I realise that he was largely a war artist and expected to paint this kind of subject matter. I didn’t know  anything of his personal life or views, but could sympathise if he was unimpressed by Picasso! 
Showing page 2 of 2