Norman Battershill

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I'd never heard of him either, but I'm glad you posted his work. He is a true master. I love his restrained colour palette and his economy with material.
He is new to me also and I really admire how some artists have the capability to use those big brush strokes so well. I've been looking through his work and it is fresh. I particularly like, A Country Lane. It won't let me download it. Lovely work anyway.
Is this the one, Denise?  Surprising how small it is - only 7.5” x 9.5”.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Some thst I particularly like, I have put the Country Lane on that Denise mentions unfortunately not a good

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Yes, that's the one Jenny, thanks. I really do love those big brush marks.
Next weeks artists will be Sir Nigel Munnings and George MacKintosh Patrick. 
Interesting to see George Mackintosh Patrick's name up there Paul. About thirty years ago I became friendly with a descendent of his who lived in Somerset. He had been bequeathed  this famous artists watercolour brushes and what really surprised me was the fact that the handles of all his sable brushes were goose Quills. I actually used  these brushes on a couple of occasions  and they were excellent. The sable still pointed beautifully after what must have been the best part of a century or more of use.
Thank you George for sharing your experience. I only know of his work through researching for this thread so it’s all new to me. Would you like to do the introduction to his work , I think that would be very fitting . It doesn’t need a great preamble just name dob and a little background, I would only be getting the info from the internet. It must seem strange have held and used such old brushes . 
Quarrel with me if you will - I'll take it personally, mind, and sulk - the Battershill painting Alan Bickley posted on page 1 of this thread is, for me, the perfect oil painting; the others are blissfully good as well, but that one, of all of them, does not have a brushmark out of place, is beautifully painted with a sensitive palette, has texture, composition - everything.  All that I most treasure in Norman Battershill.
I hadn't heard of him either (many holes in my knowledge of wonderful artists) but looked him up and agree totally with Robert, just wonderful paintings. This site has made me aware of so many great artists I didn't know about, one of its really valuable benefits.
Showing page 2 of 2