Inspiration from Artists Wk 90 Bonus Artist James Gurney

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to this weeks bonus artist thread the featuring Artist this week is: James Gurney, born 1958 is an American artist author known for his illustrated book series Dinotopia which is presented in the form of  19th century explorers journal from a island inhabited by humans and dinosaurs.  His freelance illustration career  began in the 1980s , he has painted more than 70 covers for science fiction and fantasy paperback novels. In 1983 he began work on  a dozen assignments for National Geographic magazine.  Bio fro Wikipedia. I hoe you enjoy my selection of his work.  
Everyone associates Gurney with dinosaurs and fantasy. I think that puts some people off. They don't like that sort of thing and look no further.  I think he is a wonderful artist. I love his portraits and realistic work too. I bought his book Imaginative Realism years ago because I wanted a window into painting from imagination. When I read it, I realised he uses a reference, a model, a maquette and or a diorama. He adapts things in a very creative way to get the result he wants.  By far my all time favorite art book is Color and Light by James Gurney. No matter what medium you use or what style of painting you are doing this is an absolutely brilliant book to have. An easy read, full of useful information, I cannot recommend it more highly. 
I love the line of Plein air painters, and your choice Collette! Obviously a man of many talents and skills. I must admit I don’t know him but will look him up.
While I can do without the dinosaurs, they're masterfully painted and also recognizable species (not that I met any, I'm still a mere lad, but I've read books...).  His other paintings are much more to my taste, but taste is all it is, his skills are exceptional.  
'I’m not a dinosaur fan but he certainly know how to paint them . Some portrait sketches and landscape the last one is In

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Sorry made a mess of uploading.
Terrific work Dixie! I admire them all.
Love his portraits and his landscapes. Thank you Paul. 
I love those portraits and landscapes. Thanks for sharing :)  For anyone seeking coursework assistance, UKWritings https://ukwritings.com/do-my-coursework is doing my coursework this service is a gem. Their dedication to delivering quality coursework while understanding the challenges faced by students is unparalleled. Highly recommended!

Edited
by Nancy Vinson