Inspiration from Artists Wk 70 Bonus Artist : John Lowrie Morrison .

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Wellcome to this weekends bonus artist the artist this weekend is  John Lowrie Morrison OBE. Born 1948 In Glasgow and is known as Jolomo, a Scottish Contemporary Artist producing expressionist oil paintings of Scotland. He studied Fine Art- Drawing and Painting at Glasgow School of Art 1967- 1971, he went on to undertake the Postgraduate Studies at GSA in 1972-73 , then a Dip Ed 73 -73 . He worked in teaching art for twenty five years in Mid Argyll.  I hope you enjoy his artwork. 
Lots of Jolomos up here on Bute -- I've seen a few in the flesh (and there was one for sale in the Castle Gallery in Rothesay last time I visited). Some are pretty large. They don't quite work for me. I can't put my finger on why but I think it has something to do with a forced looseness that clashes with the more formal representational elements of the scene. However, there's no arguing that they bring an immediate colourful impact to a room. 
Yes, I do enjoy his artwork - a lot of it must be knife painting, I would have thought.  On the other hand, I'm not drawn to Expressionism, particularly when related to a landscape whose colours and atmosphere Morrison makes little or no attempt to capture - there's a "colourful impact" all right: I'm not convinced that there's much else to recommend such work of his that I've seen.  I suppose someone whose favourite painter is Corot - that's me - is not likely to go overboard in praising a painter whose colours are not so much Expressionist as Extremist; that is unfair to Mr Morrison - in fact, if you called it a reactionary point of view, I wouldn't have much defence!  Trouble is though that I suspect he's influenced other, younger painters - in particular Scott Naismith: whose paintings of Scottish landscape seem to me to have nothing whatsoever to do with Scotland; though if he wasn't aiming to, I suppose one shouldn't complain. Except, dammit, I DO complain...  (I mean, it's something I do really well: if you're good at something, like complaining, well then.....).   I quarrel a bit with the term Expressionist, as well: Dérain was an Expressionist - but expressionism was never just about exaggerating colour: it's not really that difficult to do that - there's just more to it.   Anyway - I like those of Morrison's paintings I've seen, and yes they are bright and cheerful, but I wouldn't want one of them on my wall because, in general, I don't think this style of painting is true to its subject - and I don't like where the trend seems to be going.  
Goodness, I feel as if I need to put my sunglasses on, and shout ‘turn the colour down’! I just looked at his website and struggled to find these two winter scenes which are more restrained.
The Scottish Colourists live on.
I do like some of his paintings, especially these two, although am not keen on the way he applies the paint in a lot of his work.  Looking through his website, he does seem to be a very popular artist and has won a number of awards - and his output is prolific, apparently producing up to 1,000 paintings a year to fulfil a punishing exhibition schedule!

Edited
by Jenny Harris

I love the colourists.  When I browse the gallery it's always the bright ones that attract my eye. (although, I'm just not sure of his pictures with boats, perhaps a colour too far) Lachlan Goudie is rediscovering the tradition, I think.  And making quite a success of it.
Lachlan Goudie is a very much better  painter than some of the hyper-colourists I had in mind.  
We did feature Lachlan Goudie in week 50. We are having a open week later in the year so any paintings you particularly like can be shown then even if we haven’t featured the artist before. 
Thanks Dixie! and I agree Robert

Edited
by Norrette Moore