Inspiration from Artists Wk 113 featuring Artists . Clark Hurlings and Steve Slimm

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Welcome to this weeks thread , before we go onto looking at this weeks artist I would like to share a conversation I had with a neighbour. I was explaining that I managed this thread and explained that it was a selection of artists suggested with by myself, Jenny or any of the forum members. I was asked how I chose the artist and was I trying to promote their work , the answer is definitely not attempting to promote any particular artist or styles of paint etc. Many of the artist I personally choose I do do because I think they may be of interest , promote discussion a hopeful inspire someone . Many I personally and not impressed with their style, subject matter , or medium they use but I and impressed by all,the skills that are often displayed I painting we might not like . There has been a lot of discussion about realism in painting and without realising it my first choice this week paints in a realistic style , hopefully you will see beyond the photo likeness of all the artists and appreciate the skill that is displayed. Now back to this week the featured artist this week are both Chosen by myself , you will be pleased to note in the upcoming months I won’t be choosing so many. The artists this week are Clark Hulings and Steve Slimm, I will open with the introduction to Clark Hulings and on Wednesday I will introduce Steve  Slimm  Clark Hulings 1922 - 2011 was an American realist painter , who was born in Florida and raised innNew Jersey . His training as an artist began as a teenager with Sigismund Ivonowsky , George Bridgeman and concluded with Frank Reilly  at the Art Students League of America. After an early career on portraiture and illustration he devoted himself to easel painting.  Clare was a modern genre painter who is best known for his elaborate European and Mexican market and street scenes, his still,life of roses and his depiction of donkeys.  Bio on Wikipedia. I have tried to show a variety of his work , I look  forward to your comments and opinions.

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Impressive work!
Really like your choice here Dixie. Realist, without looking like a photograph. You do a great job with this thread.
Extremely skilful artist in my opinion, and I like his work. I don't subscribe to the 'it looks like a photograph so why bother' school of thought but we all have different tastes. I don't understand though how the previous realist's work can look like a photograph whilst the above artist's work doesn't. The three 'Mexican' scenes, especially the one with the young boy and woman are exceptionally realistic and photographic, and that's not meant as a negative observation from me, quite the opposite in fact.
I agree about them still looking like paintings  but having all that detail, I had a comparison look at both artists work before posting this and I notice straight away the different. Thank you Sandra it’s something iv come to enjoy doing especially with Jenny doing a lot of work as well we both appreciate it when others join in itv then feels less of a personal thing.
I think this work has softer edges ("found", I think they're called) while the other had sharpness of focus.  Or maybe my eyes haven't woken up yet this morning :-) !
I like some of this artist’s work, and have selected a few of his stylish sketches (and those lovely cats).

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Not sure what to make of Mr Hulings.  It's almost as though he is a mid to late 19th century artist transposed into the mid to late 20th century.  I picked the one below from the selection of Google images.

Edited
by Tony Auffret

Lovely work and excellent sketches post-medieval by Jenny. A very skilled artist. The grasses in his paintings are masterful. I couldn't begin to imagine how to paint grasses like that.
I love Jenny’s selection of drawings and those delightful moggies! I’m a bit in two minds like Tony otherwise, though undoubtedly a very skilful artist. 
I could look at his painting and find then relaxing and pleasant to look at as they still retain the painted look despite being so realistic . I do agree with Tony that it looked like he has come from the late 20th century, the skills to be able to paint like this would be wonderful to have even if you chose not go paint so realistic. Am I inspired by him I think I would have to say bad year to that , there are so many things in his paintings that I admire and love to paint but I don’t cart blanch like all of his work. The beauty of the internet is that we can discover all these artists across the world and time , however I do love to see the real thing when possible and love a good art book something about holding a printed copy does it for me .
I like his work, though it does look backwards, I suppose... I'd guess that he travelled around the world quite a bit; though the township scenes could have been Mexico or the southern states of the USA.  On "photographic" painting, I think there's a difference between that and "realism", and a further difference between either and "hyper-realism"; I suppose these are reactions to Impressionism, as Impressionism was a reaction against the more literal forms of classical painting.  Can't say I care much, so long as the resulting painting works - perhaps abstraction avoids these arguments, concerns, genres, and so on, but not being an abstract painter I'm bound to take an interest in these various categories, without making any attempt to fit into one or the other of them.   Looking not so much at galleries, which are hard for me to get to, so more to online displays, including YouTube - which can take you to all sorts of artists' websites one wouldn't necessarily have been aware of otherwise - the paintings I don't like, deep breath, are: hyper-coloured paintings, like those of the Scottish painter Scott Naismith; very carefully accomplished set-piece family group paintings, like those of Rodger McPhail, or at least one of them, we saw the other day; and I'm in two minds about the work of Michael James Smith - who is very accomplished, deals in an extraordinary amount of detail which I find hard to categorize, and works harder on his very precise techniques than I would ever be prepared to do.  I'm mesmerized by his technique and facility, but .... well, you can be too perfect....  He's easily found, see what you think. The paintings I like - I really don't know how you'd categorize them - are those of John McCombs, Andrew Barrowman, Steve Cronin and Alan Owen in watercolour, and - why not? - Alan Bickley!  None of those artists is obsessive with detail, none could conceivably be called hyper-realistic or photographic, you're not going to see every leaf and twig, detail yields to impression; so I suppose some would call them Impressionists, or post Impressionists, but given the space in time and difference in approach I doubt that either term is helpful.   If that leaves me in the "I know what I like!" category, well - so be it. 
Showing page 1 of 3