Inspiration from Artists Wk 109 : Still Life and Abstract Paintings

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 5
Another admirer of Shirley Trevena here.  Denis Spicer can be found on Facebook.   Still life has to be my least favourite genre - but it is a very good way to learn about tone, volumes, and perspective. 
I know you’ve never liked Still Life Robert….but is it “only a good way to learn about tone, value and perspective”? Is there nothing more to it? I’m nothing if not persistent 😉

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

Well, there is more to it if you enjoy doing it, and looking at it. If you don't - it's just a chore in the first place, and a bore in the second.  Trying to find my soul can be an unrewarding exercise.... 
Just bringing this back up before it changes later today. Some really good examples posted , I’m pleased that it lead to some discussion. I be come to the conclusion that when the subjects painted are of interest to me then I look closer at the painting but I suppose we do this with every painting we look at . Looking forward to the discussion around Abstract artwork later today .
"You Can Do Anything, Magic Skeleton" Julie Beck is a highly skilled arranger and painter of still lifes, among other things.  She is also linked with the Boston Academy of Realist Art, a great resource. https://www.araboston.com/ Painting an object translates it from the every day to a statement for consideration. Intelligent collections add another dimension. Then again, sometimes beauty or humour is enough. Ps. There's a YouTube video of Julie painting the lettering which is very instructive and surprising.

Edited
by Owen Lloyd

My goodness! This is an amazing painting of detail - or is it the set up before the painting?
Hi Marjorie. It's the painting, 16" x 16" oil on canvas panel.  Here's the video link to watch with your mid morning coffee... https://youtu.be/zgZFRGqfqiM?si=2jLYc5R-9pf6n030
Wow that is so realistic if I didn’t know it was a painting posted by a trusted forum member I would have sworn it was a photograph. It’s just incredible what some people can achieve , not sure I want to paint like that but to have the skill and choice would be amazing. Thanks Owen  for the introduction to her work , would you like me to add her to the list for you to present on a future thread. 
"not sure I want to paint like that" I love your turn of phrase! It's respectful to the artist, conveys your thoughts but keeps the door open to discussion.  I'm not sure either. It is wonderful to spend luxurious amounts of time with a subject and really see the nuances, then bring them to the artwork. Then I see a nose rendered sublimely in three strokes and am in love. "would you like me to add her..." Yes if it supports the group (should learn to keep my head down🤐)
Thanks Martin I will put her on the list it will be quite a few week before it features. Over to the second part of the week Abstract artwork , mm totally out of my depth and knowledge here so any help would be most welcome . I’ve taken the easy route and selected four well known artists , the only one did not know before is Kazimis Makvich . P Mondrian 1872  - 1944 2 Kazimis Makavch 1879 - 1935 3 Joan Miro 1893 - 1983
I do like abstract art, but often just one or two pieces by an artist - Wassily Kandinsky Gerhard Richter Hiroko Yoshimoto (whose work we looked at recently) This, however, leaves me totally bemused! 

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Kazimir Malevich was the artist who introduced the world to abstraction. His “ Black Square” was a turning away from representational art to something which couldn’t be obviously linked to the “real” or to recognised emotional responses. How difficult that must have been! If you read on about him he continued with this new art form until Stalinism came along , when he was persona non grata. Sadly, towards the end of his life, he had to capitulate and reverted to representational art.
Showing page 2 of 5