Inspiration From Artists Wk 106 Featuring Artists : Hiroko Yashimoto and J W Inchbold.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Whilst her work wouldn’t suit my house (old compact pad with very low ceilings), I do like her bright colours and organic shapes.  Would suit massive high walls in a £1.5million open plan apartment
John William Inchbold 1830-1888, was a British painter born In Leeds . Having shown at  early age  a talent for drawing when o,d enough he move to London and became a draughtsman in the lithographic works of Day and Haghe . Inchbold became a pupil of Louis Haghe and a student at the at the royal Academy from 1851. He spent much of his later life abroad mainly in Switzerland where he spent some time with Ruskin in the mid 1850s . I’m particularly pleased to introduce this artist one I came across recently and who was from my home City of Leeds .  I hope up enjoy my selection of his art work 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

At the time he painted the Stonehenge picture, there were custodians' cottages on site - they may have been just out of the frame of this scene anyway, but he has intelligently removed them if they were that near, and given no indication of any other presence than that of the stones.  Good, strong painting.  The last one has more detail than is very popular these days, but apart from that.... are those birds?  If they are, I've never seen birds like them - I'm having to peer at the screen with my poor eyesight, and I do need new glasses, but to me they look extremely odd?
Yes, it certainly helps to see the colourful paintings in situ - the other work would look good in most environments, but the paintings do perhaps need their own sympathetic spot. (Talking about the Yashimoto works there, of course - I got confused by the thread layout!  Not hard to confuse me these days.....)

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

The first Inchbold is the one I like best, love the delicate trees. Wouldn't mind sitting down on those rocks in the sun either.
Impressive and pleasing paintings Dixie. I also like the first especially. It has a look of a perfect place to paint under the shade of the trees, overlooking the water- what could be better!
Born in Leeds 1830, that makes him a contemporary of John Atkinson Grimshaw - born, Leeds 1836.  Yet their styles of painting could not be any different.  Grimshaw, dark, brooding and, yes, grim.  Inchbold, light, bright and full of hope - dare one even say bold in his depiction of the world at its best?

Edited
by Tony Auffret

Tony I had forgotten about Grimshaw one of the artist on my list that I have bypassed, tanks for mentioning him . I will add him as the bonus artist this weekend be good to compare their styles. I won’t day anymore now but agree that they  and very different. 
I do like this one of his - we have seen it before, it was the one Sarah chose as her favourite Spring painting.
Being intrigued enough to look further at his work it struck me that some of his works are distinctly in the Pre-Raphaelite style (e.g. Jenny's above) whilst other are much looser, in a more romantic or possibly Turneresque style.  There is even the odd one in between.  I haven't had time to chase down the dates or to see if some were essentially preparatory 'sketches' but in the absence of similar 'finished' works, I can only assume they were not.  I also note that my web searches bring up John William Inchbold, rather than Thomas William Inchbold.

Edited
by Tony Auffret

Tony you are correct it is John not Thomas I used John in the Title them for some unknown reason decided to call him Thomas , well the do look similar don’t they  I will correct that silly mistake, 
Thomas was the father - don't think he was a painter.   I'm still puzzled by those birds, and also a bit troubled by whatever that white animal is, 2 paintings up.  There is definitely a touch of the Holman Hunts about his oils - causing me to reflect on when Cadmium Yellow became freely available, because he does seem to have used a lot of it - that's not a criticism, but ..... I wouldn't want to spend too long in the company of his oil paintings. 
Showing page 2 of 3