Inspiration from Artists week 99 bonus artist : Roger Deller

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to week 99 Bonus Artist thread this weekend I would like to introduce you to the artwork of Roger Deller, born in St Albans  Hertfordshire . Roger is a self taught professional figurative artist and teacher who works in oils, pastels, mixed media , acrylics and water based media. He is ingested in catching people in their environment and capturing light effects . Roger was elected a member of the Wapping Group of Artists in 1996 I hope you enjoy my selection of his paintings.
Roger Dellar has demonstrated a number of times at my local art club, so I’m already familiar with his work.  Although I’ve enjoyed his demonstrations, I’m not generally keen on his style of painting or choice of subject.  These are a few I do like.
Thanks Jenny are his paintings as vibrant looking in reality. 
Another painter with whom I wasn't at all familiar - I think it's unfair to judge an artist on the basis of just a few paintings shown here in less than perfect reproduction (it's good, but can't be perfect) which perhaps suggests that I'm not much moved by what I've seen: which indeed I'm not - some of these paintings are just that bit too impressionistic for my tastes - I would crave to "finish" them: but here's what I mean by unfair..... because what matters is what the artist has chosen to do, not what I or anyone else might make of his style - you can legitimately criticize obviously bad drawing, weird perspective (unless deliberate), clumsy brushwork and colour-mixing: these paintings are all not guilty of those faults - on the whole, though, I do find them just that much too sketchy for finished work - accepting that probably says more about me than it does about the artist: some of us overdo it, some underdo it - for my money, Mr Dellar underdoes it: but then, as I'm not buying, I don't really expect him to care! I would at least like to see more of his work - I suspect there's bound to be something that would hit the spot!
Interesting.  I know Roger  , I cpuld  even be one of the women in the caff.  I used to run away from him and do my own thing.   Have just read Robert's opinion and agree about the sketchiness and unfinished.   He is a teacher and usually is showing students " How to do it". Hence my running away , I attended a week with him some years ago in Portugal I went with a friend who admires him greatly.  I still did it my way......

Edited
by Sylvia Evans