Inspiration from Artists Week 82 : KATHLEEN BUCHANAN and SIMON PALMER

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Aha...he uses Arches, and pens at some stage https://www.countryfile.com/people/simon-palmer
This is an extract from the Countryfile article referred to by Norette.    Most of his work, including the snow scene above,  is described as ‘watercolour, ink and gouache on paper’.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

There's gouache in there as well; I must read that linked article.  Slept so badly last night that if I try reading it now the words will just form a visual porridge.  So if I've made less sense than usual - that's why.  Watercolour has moved on a lot from the days of the watercolourists I most admire - James Fletcher-Watson, Ted Wesson, Edward Seago and more.  I still think of it as being a transparent medium, on the whole - "pure watercolour", as some call it.  With gouache - well, on the whole I start with that and finish with it, rather than combine paints and pens etc.  This is quite a backward-looking attitude on my part, and one I didn't always hold: once upon a time, I'd use pen with watercolour, plus conté, carbon pencil, charcoal, gouache, pastel, coloured pencil - bring back those heady days of my youth, when I was more inclined to experimentation.   I'm not daft enough to compare myself with this painter, so don't think I'm trying to; I'm working out my thinking here, with you all as the sad victims; but I realize what I've done is to forget that the picture is the thing, not the sacred techniques you employ to make it: i.e., great if you can bring a transparent watercolour to completion with never a touch of other media, but it's not a rule, and you don't have to abide by it.  Do what the picture needs. Apologies for giving myself a pep-talk on this thread!
Thank you Jenny for all your hard work over the last couple of weeks . Next week’s featuring artists are Val Byrne and Lionel Walden . 
Simon Palmer’s work is just exceptional, I love all of the examples, including those with figures. Thank you Jenny for the introduction , his name is going on my list of painters I’d like to paint like when I grow up :-)
Showing page 3 of 3