Inspiration from Artists Week 80 Bonus Artist - DAVID HOCKNEY

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
It's not his pictures that turned me on to Hockney.  But reading Secret Knowledge was an eye opener - It's OK to take short cuts, it's pointless to try to reproduce photographs exactly. I've a selection of recordings of telly documentaries on him, and it's what he has to say, rather than his paintings that attracts me.  I visited Salts Mill a few years ago, and I usually pop along to any exhibition of his in London. He says he works every morning, first thing, without fail.
My favourite work is the work he did between 62 and 78 although I find most of his work very interesting. He has been at the cutting edge of art and has remained there. His art as well as the man, I find, are totally fascinating. Although, I wouldn't use an Ipad myself in the creation of art, I guess, when you are as famous and have bounds of vision as he, it's just an extension of his talent.
I really like and admire some of his work but am also rather indifferent to much of it. I love your 'life's wheel-barrow' analogy Robert!
I particularly like his East Yorkshire landscape series. Some he painted outdoors in all weathers.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Ah now Jenny, you’ve found my weak spot! I do like those, especially the last two. 
I saw this exhibition. ‘A Bigger Picture’ at the RA’  The scale of some, in fact most of his work was beyond belief… impressive would be an understatement! I also liked his series of small watercolours at the same exhibition, and his iPad sketches. An incredible collection of great work!
Another angle on David Hockney is his love of Dachunds .   Being a Bradford lad Salts Mill in Saltaire ( a good place to go)  has a lot of Hockney s work.   I was lucky enough to go when there was whole room full of his lovely dog friend drawings... here are some of them I have taken from a calendar sent to me by one of our regulars on here....Thank you Marjorie.  Here are a few delights. A very sleepy doggo. 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Love his doggy drawings - here’s another.
Sylvia, your sketches of Sam do remind me of Hockney’s dogs. 
Sweet Marjorie....
Showing page 2 of 2