Inspiration from Artists Week 79 : Street Art and Australian Silo Art.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Nothing is wrong with using a projector - if what you're projecting is your own work, and not a stock image.  Indeed, I would imagine that you'd have to, the eye being limited by its field.  On the other hand, there are the Nazca Lines - not a lot of projection going on there; so far as we know. 
AUSTRALIAN SILO ART    The first site was a pilot project in 2015 by a cultural non-profit group who wanted to bring art to rural communities.  Two internationally renowned street artists were engaged to paint grain silos in Western Australia’s wheat belt.  It was so popular that a full trail of 6 silos was planned.  The Public Silo Trail of Western Australia was a three year project which resulted in a permanent open air ‘gallery’ linking rural and coastal towns across the region. In Victoria, a similar idea was conceived in 2016, and what started as a small community project resulted in widespread media attention.  It saw a team of renowned artists from across Australia and the world visit the region, meet the locals, and transform each grain silo into an epic work of art, each one telling a unique story about the host town. Soon, many other regional communities across the country were asking for their own silos to be beautified for the visitors and rural revitalisation it would bring.  Life isn’t easy in regional Australia and these silo art trails have brought many visitors to the poorer areas of the country where they spend time and money in these remote communities. There are approximately 45 painted silos in the Australian Silo Trail, although this is constantly changing with new silos being built.  There are also around 80 painted water towers in the country.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Sooner them than me - painting too far from solid earth.  Silos are not especially attractive objects, but - I don't know.  I find these would take a bit of getting used to; think I might be getting a bit conservative in relative old age.... If, on the other hand, you were driving through the massive distances of the Australian countryside, and suddenly saw one of these - you'd have to stop and look, wouldn't you?  I don't know why I'm a bit iffy about them - perhaps it's the hard-edged realism.... I like the green whatever-it-is, perhaps a species of parrot; but find the others a bit too photographic. Still - it's obviously brilliantly done, by highly-skilled people, with a good head for heights.  
Mixed feelings here too.  Wonderful skills, an enormous challenge...but...but... As Robert says, if you're driving through a wilderness and come across these they would have impact.   I've been trying to pick one that I unreservedly like, but can't do it.  Nonetheless, very interesting. 
I do agree that they’re not as exciting as a lot of the street art we’ve been looking at, but it’s the community spirit behind them which makes them so different and interesting - designed with input from local communities for the benefit of local communities.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Plain old silos or silos with art on them?  Give me the latter any day and every day.  I think it is a brilliant idea.  I take my hat off to those who can paint on this monumental scale, or indeed on the buildings scale we saw earlier this week.
Just bringing this one up again ………
Co-incidence? A report from this morning's Guardian about what could be a possible limit on Aussie public art. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/sep/07/qbe-insurance-cancels-insurance-carve-out-artists-heights
Some great work on the Silos , they are a bit to realistic for my taste but I do admire the skill in painting them and the courage to get up there . Must need to use good quality paint when you think of the damage dome by the sun, rain and probably sand in the wind being abrasive. Thank you Jenny for the week of artwork I found it really interesting , but need to add I don’t think I will be giving it a go . 
Thank you Jenny for taking on this weeks artists , I have enjoyed seeing all the different pieces.  Next weeks artists are : Joe Cartwright and Antonio Segura Donal .
Amazing!! Thanks Jenny.
Yes, thanks Jenny.   A good week.  Fascinating and amazing art on display.
Showing page 3 of 3