Inspiration from Artists week 69 : Masato Watanbe and Garry Devon.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Garry Devon born 1958 in Bangor, educated at Goldsmiths London studying Fine Art . Garry’s subject matter is usually in landscapes however he is known for paying particular attention to colour and the application of paint. He was commissioned by King Charles 111 , when he was the Prince of Wales to paint Kensington Palace . Garry was appointed by the North Downs Heritage Centre to complete a year long project depicting the flora and fauna of the National Trust coastline. One of the many artist thst I have come across in the last year whist researching for this thread , I hope you enjoy his artwork.
I just had a look at some of his work and was surprised at the difference in style in some of his paintings. In fact I thought are these all by the same artist!? I came to the conclusion that some are obviously commissions and expected to be more recognisable and traditional, eg this of the Royal Ulster Yacht Club, while many other looser more abstract paintings are perhaps his true style, or how he would like to be painting.
I had that very thought too, Tessa. Prefer the looser ones.
Mmmmmmmm.....not at all sure .
I sense a professional artist, who lends his abilities to what is required at the time.  On the whole, I tend towards a balance between detail and impressionistic - which means that this artist doesn't quite float my boat in either direction.  But he's undoubtedly highly skilled, and I should not object to owning a wall full of his paintings, because they have such variety.  
Next weeks artist are Mary Grieison and Maurits Cornelis Escher I will open the new thread on Sunday evening. Next week I will post a new list of artists covering the next few months, if you have any name to include please do let me have them by Tuesday. 
Paul, if you still need more names, you could add Claire McCall, Chris Neale and Karen Schmidt.  Hopefully others will also come up with some more suggestions.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

I will add those to the list Jenny thank you. 
Showing page 2 of 2