Inspiration from Artists Week 65 Bonus artist William Sidney Cooper.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
William Sidney Cooper 1854- 1927, was a British artist best known for his countryside paintings around Herne Bay in Kent. He trained with his Great  Uncle Sidney Thomas Cooper in his art school in Canterbury. William married in 1882 and in 1890 he moved to Herne Bay where he remained for the rest of his life. As well as painting professionally he was a keen golfer and liked to play tennis and bowls . He was also a musician and took part in local musical events . He built many houses in and around Canterbury the best known being Alcroft Grange .  One of the many artists that I have come across whist researching , like his work but to many cows and sheep for me .
The late 19th century rural idyll, very much of its time.  Whilst I would not hang them on my wall, I have to admire the skill and admit that yes, I do like.them. The Lily pads and the cows in the stream (which is almost certainly a Canterbury housing estate now) are my favourites.  
Hadn’t heard of him, but like his paintings, especially those  with animals, they bring the landscape to life and add interest.  Chose this one for the colours - and the sheep!

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Well, someone had to paint cows and sheep, and Mr  Cooper did, so we don't have to.  He was enormously technically skilled, as so many of these Victorian painters were, and now and then you can't but wonder how they did it (and how long it took them).  He evokes respect, but not necessarily enjoyment - in this selection at least.  
Certainly a very skilful artist, and I agree with Tony’s choice of the two best or most appealing paintings, though the water lilies could be a photo. I’m not generally keen on paintings of sheep and cows as subject matter but these are extremely well done.