Inspiration from Artists week 62 Bonus Artist Noel Harry Leaver.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to this weekends bonus artist this week I’m featuring Noel Harry Leaver 1889-1951.  Born in the school house in Austwick ,West Riding of Yorkshire where his farther was a teacher shortly after his birth they move to Burnley in Lancashire where he was educated at St James School and Burnley School of Art.  He received a National Scholarship to the Royal College of Art at the age of sixteen and a full associateship at the age of twenty one . Primarily a watercolour is the was know for his hot blue sky's often in contrast with shadowed buildings drawn from his experience gained travelling Europe and North Africa. He was also known for his paintings of English cathedrals.  I hope you enjoy his artwork.
Another very fine artist.  Astonishing detail.  Here's a few I like...
Having posted these pics, I'm having doubts that the last one is by this artist.  I can't read the signature, but it doesn't look right.  The pic came up as Leaver's on a Christie's site, on going to the website this pic didn't come up.  I think it might be by Ludwig Deutsch, an artist who painted similar pictures...these exotic images of far away places were very popular at the time.  I don't seem able to delete this one.
I rather like the last one, whoever it’s by. I also like Leaver’s work and notice there’s either a church or mosque in most of his paintings, not necessarily as the focus, but in the background obviously as a part of the scene important to him. I’m always impressed to see an artist painting in this size and detail. He was obviously an incredible draughtsman.

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

I can’t see the signature that well Lew but it isn’t Leaver for sure, do t bother about removing it , it show how easy it is to get misled . I like Leavers artwork it’s detailed but not overwhelming in the details, certainly a good artist well in my opinion he is. Lew and Tessa you both have selected some excellent examples of his work , his buildings look strong but delicate at the same time I suspect that’s because it’s watercolour mostly. 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Lewis is right about the last painting he posted being by Ludwig Deutsch.  (Google reverse image search is very useful!)  Just going to have a look at Leaver’s rather interesting work.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Thanks Jenny I must find out how to to the Google Reverse image it sound really useful. I will add Ludwig Deutsch to the list, his work looks interesting. 
I like his paintings from his travels in Europe and North Africa - makes a change from all the English landscapes we’ve been looking at.  A few of his paintings have an almost fairytale quality to them. Paul, for reverse image searches, search ‘labnol reverse image search’.  On the site, click on upload a file, select the one you want to search on, then when the image appears, click on it to see what has been found, will be either exact image likeness or similar.  Quick and easy!  

Edited
by Jenny Harris

You know, I look at these things and ask myself 'how the HELL did anyone do that in watercolour?' - I can see how oil, acrylic, gouache can yield good, even great, results, but even granted Victorian artists didn't hesitate to use a bit of Chinese White when it suited them, I don't know how they did it...   I've painted in watercolour for not that many years, and have got away with one or two minor triumphs, much outnumbered by major disasters, but even if I'd been painting as long in watercolour as I have in oil and acrylic, I don't for a minute believe I could get within 5 miles of most of these.  S'magic, that's what it is; they're just not human!
I do agree Robert there is something quite magical bout them .  I only discovered his artwork a couple of weeks ago when researching for the thread I was taken with his work instantly and the more I looked I discovered that it wasn’t just the odd paintings that was excellent , the majority are . I would love a tenth of his skill not necessarily to paint the same subject but to use on my own ideas . Watercolour at there best for sure .