Inspiration from Artists Week 61 Featuring Artists Ng Woon Lam and Jane Perkins.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I like the watercolours - which as Tony points out present an interesting fusion between West and East. The oil painting not so much.  It does reflect light, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.   That said, it might look quite different in the flesh - I'm getting the impression of camera and bright lights just too near the painting.  
Although I don't particularly like the subject matter in his watercolours, I think the technique and the application of the paint is superb, and I admire his tonal range. The oil painting shown I personally don't like at all. 
Jane Perkins was born in 1958, grew up near London and now lives in Devon.  She describes herself as a ‘re-maker’ taking inspiration from found objects and working them into something new. After 17 years in nursing she took a career break to raise her family and then took a degree in Textiles, graduating in 2006.  She found excitement in using materials with a history, and a love of art with an element of fun and the unexpected.  While researching for her degree thesis on Art from Recycled Materials she discovered images of religious festival headdresses from Ecuador.  These were bizarre, decorated with a mixture of found objects , and they became the inspiration for her final year project - a collection of hand stitched brooches embellished with small found objects.  While making these she collected materials too big to be used, and a year or so after her degree she had the idea of making a portrait, which was the start of her unique, quirky artwork.  She uses any materials of the right shape, size and colour - toys, shells, buttons, beads, plastic cutlery etc.  No colour is added - everything is used ‘as found’.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Well - Gawd bless 'er, but - her work isn't for me, even though I can't but admire the work put into it, her sense of colour, and ingenuity: unfortunately, it's not really speaking to me.  Each, however, to their own.
Superb artwork, fascinating to look at and trying to pick out what she has used. Thank you for the excellent introduction Jenny nice background history to her work and how it evolved. 
Goodness! Well I’d have to say I’m impressed with her creative use of all of those fiddly little items, and her design aspect. The colour is great. Her work is certainly striking. Would I call this art? Probably not but then we get back to the old question of what is art!  Impressive and interesting but involves too much plastic for me.
I love her work! 
It's astonishing what some artists use to make art.  I can only wonder at the vast amount of bits and pieces this lady must sift through to get what she wants.  I'd like to see the actual art.  Impressive.
Duplicated.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

This is a photo of her at work, and a look at a work in progress of one of her portraits.  So different to other forms of art, but just as skilful.  I suppose in some ways it’s more of a craft, but the finished product looks just like an artwork. Fascinating.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Next weeks featuring artists are Martin Proctor and Tristram Hillier, I will open the thread on Sunday evening. 
Showing page 2 of 2