Inspiration from Artists week 61 Bonus Artist Robert Thorne Waite.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Well to this weeks bonus artist Robert Thorne Waite 1842 - 1935, was a British painter mostly in watercolour of bright and airy landscapes and pastoral scenes. He was particularly fond of the corn and hay fields of the South Downs.
Thanks, Paul - another one to add to the list.  When you think how many artists are out there of whom most of us have probably never heard - well, it puts you in your place a bit, doesn't it?   Still, never mind: the important thing is still, as it always was, to carry on painting.  I read a critic, years and years ago, who said (in so many words) 'what on earth is the point of painting more and more pastoral watercolours?  Don't they realize - it's been DONE?'; well, yes, old love; it has.  But WE didn't paint them - and the point is not what's been done before, but what we can do now: and - if you love the English/British landscape, you're just going to want to paint it.   Whereas all you want to do is snipe at it - you miserable sod!
I do like a landscape painting, the interesting thing is that ten artists can paint the same scene and it will look similar but again be different. It each individual interpretation of what they see and what is the main focus in their opinion. We are lunch within the British Isles that we have such beautiful and diverse scenery, mountains to moorland to seaside with such a great deal of different structures etc between the coasts . Our countryside is something I’ve never tired of seeing and until you have been away for a long period you don’t realise how much you miss it.   Robert your comment about the amount of artists out there we don’t know about is something that I have thought about when setting up this thread .  I have a list of about three hundred or so artists many are from the past hundred years or so and I’m trying to add more modern artist into the mix no matter what they paint, landscape , abstract etc. 
Another highly skilled artist, I admire the misty effect he achieves in some of his paintings. Dixie...as I mentioned for the Lautrec thread, some years back I made up slideshows of art that I could watch on my large Screen TV.  I didn't do many, and most were about a variety of artists.  I have one for modern watercolour artists.  It gives their names and a few of their paintings, in this thread you've concentrated on one artist at a time...so you may not want to use it.  I'd quite understand. However, if you do, or get stuck at some point, I could show it.  It requires no effort on my part because it's already done. Let me know what you think.
Lew it would be good to use and show it , I will add it to the list and let you have the date . What we can then do if there is a particular artist or even more we can single them out for future dates . How about week commencing 17 July , we can then use your work for that week so it give time to look at the different artist, if your ok with that I will update the list. 
OK by me Dixie, I might need a reminder nearer the time, but you do that anyway.
 Lew I will message you the week beforehand to give to time to plan etc , must make a note to myself I’m getting so forgetful these days.
I like Robert Waite’s work, his paintings of the South Downs have a lovely mellow feel to them.   One of his sketches with watercolour.

Edited
by Jenny Harris