Inspiration from Artists week 49 bonus artist Evelyn Mary Dunbar.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to this weeks bonus artist , Evelyn Mary Dunbar 1906-1960. A British artist, illustrator and teacher she is notable for recording women’s  contributions to  WW11 on the United Kingdom’s home front . Responsible recorded the work of the Woman’s Land Army predominately , she was the only women worker for the War  Artists Advisory Committee on a full time salaried basis. I hope you enjoy her artwork. O
Another great find, a gifted artist.  I admire her work very much.  Here's one I love.... ..'Autumn and the Poet'.  A while back this painting turned up on the Antique Roadshow, it was described as a lost masterpiece and valued at £40,000-£60,000.  I think it's stunning, realistic and stylised at the same time. Here's one of her illustrations...old Mother Hubbard... For me, yet another inspiring artist.
Yes, I like her paintings too - vary varied and reminiscent of Dame Laura Knight’s and her recording of the war work, often women working in munitions etc. I remember the Antiques Roadshow painting.
Wonderful! And yes I also recognise the Antiques Roadshow find.  I like her wartime paintings very much, distinctive style, and definitely capturing the era. I do like in particular the frame effect of the apple pickers, last of Dixie’s choice above, though I do like them all, and so much to look at.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Hi, You say that Dunbar "played a significant role in documenting the important work done by women during that period, particularly the Women's Land Army." This is true, but it is not the whole story. Dunbar also painted a number of other subjects, including landscapes, portraits, and allegorical works. She was a versatile artist who was not limited to one particular genre. I think it is important to remember that Dunbar was not just a documentary artist. She was also an artist who was interested in exploring the human condition and the beauty of the natural world. Her work is a testament to her artistic vision and her commitment to using her art to communicate important messages.
Has anyone else felt a touch of Stanley Spencer about some of Dunbars paintings ? . Perhaps they were associated ? .  Stephen Weight