Inspiration from Artists Week 47 , Shirley Trevena and aEdward Hersay

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Says something - even if I don't know what - for modern art criticism that I know more about Cy Twombly than I know about Edward Hersey; the latter is the sort of painter whose work you wish you COULD emulate, but yet don't really desire to.  He has levels of skill that are out of this world - he may not be in fashion, not "cutting edge", nor avant garde - but none who would criticize him could ever paint like him.  So the best thing to do is just let your jaw drop!
What a brilliant artist, Paul - love his farmyard scenes with the old tractors and land rovers.
I’m pleased you like his paintings, they are full of the things I love to paint and draw , old buildings, tractors, trees the detailing is absolutely stunning.  Sadly  I’m no way near as good but as Roberts said would you want to , not really , but I like to have the choice .  I have spent ages looking at one of his paintings finding new details all the time , realistic paintings but still have the I’ve been painted look . 
Those Shirley Trevena paintings are amazing. So very beautiful and full of life.  Big thanks for the intro.  These Edward Hersey paintings are  gobsmackingly brilliant but sadly they just don't excite me.  but so interesting to look at.
Says something - even if I don't know what - for modern art criticism that I know more about Cy Twombly than I know about Edward Hersey; the latter is the sort of painter whose work you wish you COULD emulate, but yet don't really desire to.  He has levels of skill that are out of this world - he may not be in fashion, not "cutting edge", nor avant garde - but none who would criticize him could ever paint like him.  So the best thing to do is just let your jaw drop!
Robert Jones on 25/01/2023 13:45:46
My jaw is suitably dropped! Yes they are very fine paintings and I’ve enjoyed looking at them again this morning. His mainly derelict farm buildings look like somewhere you would like to have a poke around before they fall down. There is a similarity in that he seems to often include 6-8 chickens, three white birds, and an old land rover, but that’s the kind of scene I guess.  As Sylvia has said- not exiting -but I think pleasant to look at and admire his skill.
I have to admit that when I posted his artwork I was not sure of the reaction it would receive as it is very detailed. He is one of the artist I’ve had on the list for quite some time and putting aside till now, I do agree that it not exciting nor would I rush out and buy one to hang at home . He does however touch a spot in all of us I think with his skill, the nostalgia and I think the want to see each bit detail . Oh if I had his skill but then I don’t think I would like to paint this detailed , but please let me have the skill to try at least once. Go on someone tell me I’m to old now , or not a cat in hells chance but one can dream , good heavens this sound like a one of Roberts post. 
I have to admit that when I posted his artwork I was not sure of the reaction it would receive as it is very detailed. He is one of the artist I’ve had on the list for quite some time and putting aside till now, I do agree that it not exciting nor would I rush out and buy one to hang at home . He does however touch a spot in all of us I think with his skill, the nostalgia and I think the want to see each bit detail . Oh if I had his skill but then I don’t think I would like to paint this detailed , but please let me have the skill to try at least once. Go on someone tell me I’m to old now , or not a cat in hells chance but one can dream , good heavens this sound like a one of Roberts post. 
Paul  (Dixie) Dean on 26/01/2023 08:58:11
And all the better for it!  Could you ASK for a greater accolade?
Two excellent but very different style this week both artists displaying amazing talent. Next week we have Kit Williams and Peter Grey again two different style , I’m looking forward too seeing both artists work. I’m going to make a few changes to the list to reduce some of the artists I have featuring and bring forward some of the artists suggested by you good folk.  Once I’ve sorted it out I will post it for you all to see. , thank you all for support and making this a worthwhile experience. I will post the bonus artist this evening.
Paul, if you remember, we agreed not to include Peter Gray after all (due to potential copyright issues) but that I would do William Morris instead, if that’s still OK.  If anyone is interested in seeing Peter Gray’s stunning wildlife paintings they can look him up

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Sorry I had forgotten Jenny , put it down to old age thanks for the reminder . Yes please do William Morris I do recall discussing him as a featuring artist though he doesn’t paint etc. 
No, he didn’t paint pictures (although there is one rather nice painting that he did do) but his intricate fabric and wallpaper designs were initially painted by him in watercolour - thought it would be interesting to look at these.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Showing page 3 of 3