Inspiration from Artists Week 39 Bonus Artist James Fletcher Watson

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Very gentle, very English, though the second on down in Dixie's first post looked decidedly foreign to me with that tall tower and paved square.  Google confirmed it is called Campo San Giacomo, but I think that just goes to show he captures the essence of a place.  The stream (4th down, Dixies second post) is the one for me.  Google tells me its title is 'The River Windrush",  but one could almost call it the 'Vale of England'.
Yes, he loved the Windrush, and painted it often.  There was, I'm sure, an article about him in The Artist, a good few years ago.
I do love using watercolour and to see such clear colours is a treat it’s not just the scene he paints that I like , it’s how the paint is applied and with little fuss.  To change the subject slightly I have spent a couple of hours going through the list of artists I have made up for the thread, I was surprised to find that I have identified about 200 . I don’t want the thread becoming my selection so I will add a few occasional and use them for bonus artists. I also thought that I would put a list up for your good selves to pick a artist to introduce, they range from pre Victorian, Victorian and up to modern day artists . I have looked very briefly at their artwork some are outstanding but I think we should look at as many different ones as possible, I would appreciate your views.
Fine with whatever you choose to do: you've introduced me to several artists I hadn't know before, plus reminding me of several (like James F-W) whom I so well remember; so whatever you do is fine by me. 
You're doing a grand job Dixie.  I like it when the occasional odd-ball artist (like Anthony Green) is featured, but the choices made so far seem to reflect the balance of interest within the POL members...so keep doing what you're doing.
Thanks Robert and Lew . Lew please do let us have some of the odd ball artists names it’s really important to show as many different styles etc , apart from which I like the odd ball work myself. 
Dixie, we have had a few that I'd call odd-ball, we probably each have our own definition of what constitutes 'odd-ball'.  For me it's an artist who sees things differently.  Eyvind Earle is one, might be a good starting place.  Then there's Kit Williams, Georgy Kurasov, John Byrne, Sebastian Kruger to name a few...then there's Beryl Cook, she certainly sees things her own way.  But I thought she was already on the list.  I'm not sure if some of these have been mentioned/featured before...but then I'm easily confused.
Lewis, we also have Jonathan Wolstenholme coming up later (he should already be on Paul’s list) - his work is delightfully odd.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

That's good Jenny, his work is odd.
Thank you Lew for the names I’ve added them to the list , would you do the introductions when they feature . 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

I'm OK with that Dixie.  I'm assuming they'll be spread thinly through your long list.
Showing page 2 of 2