Inspiration from Artists week 38 Bonus Artist Anna Roberts.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
This weeks bonus artist is Anna Roberts a British artist who uses pastel to create hyper realistic paintings. I hope you enjoy her artwork, sorry for the short intro in nit firing of all cylinders today .
The oranges in the bag reminded me of a drawing exercise we did at school once. Of a black bin liner suspended from the ceiling (with whatever contents inside weighing it down). I’ve still got it somewhere (the drawing, not the bin liner…) Beautiful work, but just a tad too photo realistic for me. I’m of the opinion that if you paint in any medium, it should look like you’ve painted in that medium. These looks like photos to me.
Agree with Helen that these are a touch too photographic on the whole - but that's the artist's conscious choice, so I won't quarrel with it.  They are brilliantly done - I wouldn't know what the medium used was: I'm really surprised if they're all pastels.   While most of them don't do a lot for me beyond admiring their technical skill and cleverness, the vase of flowers painting is beautiful  - and I'd rather like it, if anyone's buying....  
Well there is three of us in agreement I’m not over keen on hyper realistic paintings etc, my reason for posting is as always to show different artists and their skilled artist. One of the things I enjoy about doing this thread is taking time to look at the work of artists that I would normally pass by  Doing the research has certainly improved my knowledge and introduced artists who's work I really admire . 
Make that four - I also find her work too photorealistic and am not keen on the subjects she chooses, although do appreciate how very skilful her work is.  It’s good, though, as Paul says, to look at a wide range of artists, even though you may not like some of their work.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

I think she’s very skilful indeed and hard to believe that they are pastel. I’m not normally keen on hyper realism but I see that she does a lot of illustration and maybe that’s what is required. I don’t dislike her work, and will look at some more. Another interesting choice Dixie, and as Jenny says, good to see such variety in this thread. Found a few that I like.

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

I like them, they are beautifully executed. I wish I had the patience to paint like this. Paul, just wondering, has my suggestion from a few weeks ago been added to your list?
I have seen some of her work before but never 'in the flesh,' and I have to say that I like it.
Having recently said I had lost interest in photo realist painters, I must admit to liking a lot of this artists work. I think it’s because there is an element of the surreal in some of them, particularly the figurative ones.  I found this on her website that I think is really good. Don’t know why.
Lucian, if your suggestion was Stefen Ludhian, Paul has already said that he will be featured not this coming week, but the week after.
Thank you Jenny for answering Lucians question I really appreciate your help this week .  Lucian the artist you  suggested is indeed on the list and as Jenny said you can do the introduction the week after next , to be specific you can post your introduction any  time after 12:30 UK time on Wednesday the 23 of November. As said I had posted the information on the end of last weeks thread thinking that you would have read it, I did explain to you some time ago that it’s quite a long list and takes time for a request to appear. It’s always worth reading the end of the threads as that is where I inform people of who is the upcoming artists . 
Lucian, if your suggestion was Stefen Ludhian, Paul has already said that he will be featured not this coming week, but the week after.
Jenny Harris on 12/11/2022 17:52:58
I apologize. I try to read all the replies in the threads, but there are just so many of them, and I am also dealing with a lot of health issues, so I might have missed the reply where he said this.