Inspiration from Artists Week 36: Aubrey Beardsley and Emile Claus.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
The subjects of his works are not my cup of tea, but I acknowledge his talent.
I’m posting this early as I will be out now till late evening , apology for taking the liberty. Emile Claus 1849-1924 was a Belgian impressionist painter who developed the distinct style of Impressionism known as Luminisim . I hope you enjoy his work I’m not a great fan of impressionist artwork but find his work really interesting and pleasing to see. 
He seems to have had many sources of inspiration - certainly including Monet: I've never seen his work before, but one thing I notice is the extreme thinness of his oil paint, in some though not all of the above: I remember an English artist named Victor Voysey who, for a time at least, championed extremely thin paint: you do need to be able to draw well to get away with that, though of course watercolourists do all the time.  He certainly didn't always do it - he lived to be 75, but I have a distinct sense of learning here: I wonder if he ever settled on a final style and approach? 
I really like the way the painting surface contributes a tremendous amount to the texture of the haystacks. Looking at the marks I wonder if this painting was done rather quickly/spontaneously -- all the more effective if so.
Claus is another name new to me. I see influence of Monet and Van Goch, partly because of the scenery and subject matter. He has a light touch. I particularly like the Caving In Bank which is the first here.
I at first thought I had come across a Monet painting when I looked at his work , I’m warming to the impressionist painting but I do really like his other ones quite a lot. The first one I really like I don’t know what medium he used but it looks like oil pastels to me. 
He does seem to have several sources of inspire....and very clever.  Maybe he should join us painting in the style of... Not too sure what his actual own style is , so I'm on the side lines of whether I really like his work. 
I find some of them delightful to look at. The ones with looser brushwork - not so much. Here are a couple of examples of his works that strike me as particularly pleasing:
I love the sunset, Tessa has posted. I really like his work. Full of fresh light and excellent figure painting. A real treat to look at.
Not sure about his work, some I like, some not so much - I like the cow Lucian has posted and the very colourful landscape posted by Paul as well as the Caving in the Bank from Tessa’s selection. As been pointed out, he seemed to work in several quite different styles.
I do like some of his work however I’m unsure of a few one of them artists that you admire what you like at the time if I make sense. Next weeks artist’s  are  Randolph Caldecott and Ben Lustenhouwes. Have a good weekend , I will post their weekend bonus artist this evening . 
Showing page 2 of 2