Inspiration from Artists Week 32 Bonus Artist Brian Bennett FROI

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to this weekends bonus artist who is a local artist whose work I have seen this week in and exhibition at the  Aylesbury Museum. Brian Bennet FROI, born in only Bucks in 1922, having obtained a MA in  history at Magdalen College Oxford became Director of Art at Berkhampsted school despite having no formal art training. Brian concentrates on painting the the scenes of the Chilterns that are local to his home . Many of the scenes he painted are very familiar to me as I live within ten miles of his home , surprisingly I only discovered his work a few weeks ago and fortunately this week there had been a exhibition of his work in the local museum so good to actually see his work close up. I hope you enjoy the artwork. 
These are staggering paintings - and I believe Mr Bennett was born in 1927, not 1922: which makes him 95: I knew painting was good for you! I'm familiar with only the second painting down - I saw it, I think, in a book I've probably sold (I used to have thousands: slowly building my collection up again, and lost count some years ago).  So pleased to see the others and must look out for more.  Keep going, Mr Bennett - whether Paul's got your birth date right or I have, we need painters like you to show us what the English countryside can really offer to a sharp eye.  
Wow these are special , I can quite see why Robert is so enamoured by them, very much his subject.   Those lovely landscapes ,those grasses and those verdant greens.   Brilliant , thank you Paul. 
Love his paintings of wild flower meadows - and interesting to read that he paints almost exclusively with a painting knife and that he’s written a book on the subject.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Your are correct Robert it’s a typo on my behalf. He is indeed  95 and still paints from what I discovered at the exhibition on Wednesday. I don’t often stand looking at a painting for a long period but found I did just that with his paintings , I had a definite connection with them as he paint many of the places I have worked and walked. I was surprised that I actually felt quite emotional looking at some of them . I did think that both Robert and Alan might enjoy his work.  A few more the one of the viaduct is on the M25 as it cuts through King Langley  driven over it many a time. 
What superb landscapes, thank you Paul. That exhibition in Aylesbury is on until 5th November and it’s not too far from me so I’ll try and get there. 
Pleased  you like his artwork, as it’s the area where I have lived for the past 30 + years I find it absolutely brilliant. A few more that I like.
Some lovely work. I like that anyone who paints beautiful landscapes also makes the move to record the building of part of the M25 motorway which I shall be heading for later this morning! Another good choice.
I wax taken with the viaduct one Tessa a couple more .
He does seem to be a very skilled painter. The first couple of landscapes didn't impress me that much, but then they got better and better. The painting of the children in the forest is the most impressive of the ones I've seen in this thread. I wonder why he doesn't have a WikiArt page.