Inspiration from Artists Week 101 : Brian Nolan and June Crawshaw.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Well to well 101 of the Inspiration from Artists Thread this weeks featuring artists are  Brian Nolan and June  Crawshaw . Andrew will open with his introduction to Brian Nolan and on Wednesday I will introduce June Crawshaw . Have a good weekend do enjoy the choice of  artworks , have a look at the artist on line and select one or two you particularly like.
Thanks Paul. Brian Nolan (1931-2019) was born in Manchester and spent his formative years there but is probably best known for his landscape paintings of the Peak District, painting mostly plein air. He attended evening classes at Manchester Regional College of Art and Stockport College of Art . His early work includes Manchester street scenes and he recorded Manchester's recovery in the years after the second world war. Sadly few of these pictures can now be found.  His first solo exhibition was in 1960 at Hale, but a few years later his work appeared in the Manchester Academy of Fine Art's annual exhibition and then further exhibitions in the north of England.  Brian contributed the The Artist and Leisure Painter magazines from 1975 onwards . Having married in 1965 and moved to Hayfield in 1976 by 1987 he had given up his job in advertising to become a full time painter, working from his studio at the rear of his home.  He was predominantly a watercolour artist but also worked in oils and pastel.  I was luck enough to stumble across an exhibition of Brian's work at the Patchings Art Centre last year and was immediately impressed by the quality and depth of what were mostly watercolours. I hope you like his work as much as I do.  More information on Brian including a full biography can be found at the website https://www.briannolanartist.co.uk  A few of my favourite pieces:  Kinder Range:  Grey Beck: Old Flatterer, Hayfield Cricket Club: Not Out, Hayfield Cricket Club: and Snow at Foxhall, Kinder Road, Hayfield - which is a pastel piece:
I like your first choice very much.
Super artist Dixie. I was just looking at his website and found these including some irises for Sylvia!
It was Andrew who did the introduction Tessa . 
Aha so it was! Apologies both, and thank you Andrew. I love the row of chairs, great observation.
Fabulous artist - of course, I like all of these, but the last two are very much up my woodland path: I love dark woods (which probably says something about me, but passing rapidly on) and vegetation against the skyline - they prompt the question "what lies beyond?".
I particularly like the row of chairs - great composition and colours.
The chairs and the road roller are my favourites too.  Looking on his website, I came across this one, 'Across Time, Hayfield, Kinder'.  In an odd sort of way it put me in mind of Corot.
Some excellent examples of his work posted , thanks Andrew I will  have a good look at his works later and pick out a couple . 
Tony's Corot point is interesting - perhaps it's the deferred light in some of them; the last one shown here is a good example of that. 
Three very different paintings from me , the wooden steps have such beautiful details yet in the next two he tells the story without any solid detail all three are superb paintings. 
Showing page 1 of 2