Inspiration from Artists Christmas bonus artist Frank McKelvey.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to the second of the Christmas bonus artist ,Frank McKelvey 1895- 1974.  Frank McKelvey was a Irish artist born in Belfast and painted mostly Irish scenes throughout his life . His garter was a painter and decorator and Frank trained as a poster designer he attended Belfast College in 1911  , he was instructed in painting by Alfred Rawlings Baker (1864-1939). Baker had an enduring influence on McKelvey’s handling of paint , his loosely impressionistic techniques and his prefers subject matter. I hope you enjoy his artwork.

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Scrolling down, I was thinking they were quite dull (colour not subject), even the children paddling.  Then up popped the group by the quayside - that I really like; light seems to flood the whole scene.
Paul, could you cross off your list the 5 artists I suggested as inspirational (de Stael, Mitchell, Hodgkin, Riley, Soulages)?
I will do Martin, sorry you have changed your mind . If you have any others please do let me know. 
I rather like his work and find it pleasing and restful to look at. Most if not all of his work was painted around Northern Ireland, and the coast in particular. Here are some I liked. He seems to have been quite prolific and his paintings of children seem to capture the innocence of childhood years ago pre-mobile phones etc!

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

Lovely skies and I like the paddling children. The water sparkles.   They are of their time and clever and competent.  But don't shout excitement at me. 
I do like the watercolour, just above Tony Auffret's comment, of the long cottage and barn, with the mountains in the distance - as Sylvia says, the rest are competent - and I agree with the comment on the quayside painting, too.  Some of the rest are a bit 'Five Go To Kirrin Island Again' (Enid Blyton); but they're of their time.