Inspiration From Artists Bonus Artist Rowland Henry Hill

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to this weekends Inspiration from Artists the Bonus art this week is : Rowland Henry Hill 1873 - 1952 born in Halifax Yorkshire.  Rowland Henry Hill studied at Halifax and Bradford School of Art, Helcomes Schoo Bushey and extensively abroad, mainly on the continent. He  exhibited at the Walker Gallery Liverpool and elsewhere in the provinces , the Imperial War Museum and many Northern galleries hold his paintings . He was a member of the Staiths group of painters who worked in the Staiths and Runswick area of Yorkshire. I hope you enjoy his artwork, another of the many artists that are new to me , hopefully some of you will know of him and his artwork.
I suppose 1952, when he died, was quite a long time ago: and he might have hit his peak in around 1900 to 1930 - but his paintings do seem extremely Victorian in their outlook and feel, as if he's looking backwards to an age long gone, even given he was born in 1873.  There's a painting there dated 1940 which looked as if it had been painted in 1840.  It goes without saying that he could draw and paint, but he did seem to favour the nostalgia end of the market.
I agree Robert , his work is or looks like it’s of a earlier time, it could  be his yearning for the past or he just painted nostalgic scenes. Despite his work looking dated he was a skilled artist I think .

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Yes: and if, in 1940, people wanted to look back to what seemed to them happier times - hard to blame them, really!