Just called in to say hello

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, I'm Rachel, though I'm generally known online as Bliss. I've been lurking around here for a week or so, and finally thought I'd join in the fun. I'm very new to painting - my work so far consists of a sketch of the Humber Bridge, a lot of 'practice' skies, and attempts at a few buildings. My last foray into painting (not very well) was 25+ years ago at teacher training college. My inspiration to give it a try again and learn how to do it properly was my mum, who died a few weeks ago. I've been caring for her along with my dad for the last 6 months, and a few days after her funeral when I was trying to tidy up all her medication etc, I found a pad of cheap watercolour paper that she'd been using for a largely abstract collection of painting using various media that she'd done over the last few months. She'd named and dated all of them and on many she'd put a note about the inspiration for it. I didn't realise she'd been doing them, but all I can think is that she did them when I was working (my parents live with me, and though I work part time (I long ago ditched teaching and went into local government), I work mainly from home, only going into the office occasionally for meetings etc, which was a godsend while mum was so ill). Anyhow, back to finding her paintings, I also found the "artist's box" I'd bought her for Christmas a couple of years ago that she'd asked for - it has watercolours, oils, acrylics, watercolour pencils, pastels etc. They're not the greatest quality and well past their best, but there were some things like the pencils I thought were still usable. Though I'm back at work now after a few weeks off, I felt I needed something to keep me occupied so I bought myself some watercolours and a few brushes. Painting's somewhat interesting for me because I'm a wheelchair user so my viewpoint's rather fixed, and due to a weird neurological condition I have, I get blurred and double vision. Seeing just one image of something takes a lot of concentration, so I can only paint for short spells at a time, but I'm looking forward to learning more about watercolour painting and hopefully improving! Rachel (Bliss)
Hello Rachel welcome to the forum, Im fairly new and have found the forum good fun. In general there is a nice bunch of people. Sorry about your bereavement time heals.. It takes time to feel confident to display paintings but do put them on for people to see and get some feedback. I started painting whilst recovering from a spinal injury, OTs can be a bit pushy however I don’t regret it on bit. Have fun Paul.
Hi Rachael, Welcome. Im looking forward to seeing your work as you get more stuck in. One thing I would say...dont use cheap watercolour paper for anything. Its unpleasant and never really shows what you're capable of. Sorry to hear about your mum, a sad time but rich with memory if youre trawling her inspiration notes.
Welcome Rachel. I hope you'll soon be posting in the gallery. Lew.
HI Rachel, sorry to hear you have been having such a rough time - hope you enjoy painting and posting on here - I have found them very supportive and encouraging. Watercolour can be infuriating but when it works it is gorgeous :) Maggy