A small but successful workshop.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
On Wednesday this week I lead my second workshop post Covid, the first one wax held a month ago and was a beginners introduction to watercolour .  The workshop are held at Hughenden Manor as a fund raiser for the National Trust my way of contributing. This is the  venue a superb place with lots of areas to paint plain air  I have the very grant tile of Artist In Residence code for the mug that does it for free.  The area that we worked in was originally staff kitchen in the old days .  Only five participants this time two of them attend the first workshop so I must have done something right. There were people with mobility problems so I needed to make a quick change of plan as originally it was intended to walk around and take photos etc. I asked what they wanted to do and the decision was to use my painting and reproduce bits of them and combined bits from different paintings. I agreed with the proviso that it want a direct copy and they used different colours where possible.  It worked out really well and I had the opportunity to spend time with each person as and when they needed my assistant.  Must definitely be doing it wrong they all want to come back for more.  Photos attached with permission from five very nice ladies 
Paul what a stunning location and it's really great to see everyone at work and lovely to see their paintings. They all look like they are having a great time and producing some lovely paintings. You are teaching them very well.
I'd be quite interested in doing that, if anyone would ask me .... though I am a bit far away from anywhere else, and don't drive.  Anyway, well done Mr Dean: "artist in residence" - I like the sound of that, but - "the mug who does it for free" IS probably nearer the mark. Still - so what, if you're enjoying it? Beautiful house, from the outside at least.  
Thank you Denise and Robert. I think you would enjoy leading a workshop Robert I find then really rewarding especially when people have had a good day and want more. I started by having workshops for the volunteers and staff and move on to the paying public about five years ago . Covid of course put a stop to anything for a while and we are just starting back , plus the staff member responsible for organising events is really keen that we different things to other NT houses etc.  I have done some  for local small charities that have usually brought in some needed income for them and advertised their work. Beginner courses usually include us providing the materials etc , other days people bring there own along . Plans for next year are one each season , children workshop with parents , a still life of a few items selected by the curators with a presentation of what and where the item comes from etc. 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Oh so well  done Paul it looks wonderful. 
Oh so well  done Paul it looks wonderful. 
Fabulous results from the workshop Paul, well done and what a beautiful room and venue
Looks great! Well done you, I’m sure more will follow. Lovely building as well
What a wonderful venue and set-up you have.  Just the right number of people too...at least I should think so, but what do I know?   I'd love a place like that.
Well done Paul. What a lovely setting to work in. Your students have produced some great paintings.
Thank you all for your kind comments. It is a lovely place to work and has a great atmosphere about it . The house was lived in by Benjamin Disraeli his wife and his mistress , all three are buried in the church in the grounds , his wife on one side is mistress / benefactor on the other.  The best part for me is the flat that a very old couple lived in until quite recently , they had worked at the manor and had live there for years they bequeathed all their property in the flat to the NT. it’s like stepping back to the 1950 s all the furniture, cloths etc are from the 50s when they moved in . The NT is preserving it as it is and making no changes to it.  The grounds are superb but no over decretive big tees etc , Europe’s biggest horse chestnut is located in the grounds . 
So glad the workshop was a success Paul! You clearly love teaching.