Manganese Blue

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Many longer-in-the-tooth painters will remember Manganese Blue, PB83 (from memory) and will have mourned its loss.  W & N do a quite good Manganese Blue (Hue), in oil - but it's a variant of Pthalo Blue: near, but not quite near enough.   The real pigment was withdrawn a good many years ago, over supply problems I believe - so many years ago that I've forgotten.  Well, to cut through my blether - Wallace Seymour are offering a genuine Manganese Blue in oil paint: I saw it today on the Supreme Paint website, at a reasonable price for top grade oil paint.  So if you've missed it as I have - there it is.  
PS - I've just ordered some, so will let you know how I get on with it.  And my memory was, of course, up the creek where it usually resides = PB33, not 83. (I do realize that some won't have a clue what this means: but worry not.)
I’ve got the W&N manganese blue hue, but not the genuine stuff! I’ve got Old Holland manganese violet PV16. Fiona tells me that they also do manganese blue. Wallace Seymour make some excellent paints in both watercolour and oils… acrylic too I believe. My Turner watercolours are hand made by Wallace Seymour, Pip Seymour himself actually makes them from the original genuine and authentic worldwide sourced materials. More on that in my article! Mind you, they don’t come cheap, but if you want the best…

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Posted this two days ago - paint arrived this morning: pretty damned amazing service from the Supreme Paint Company!  And could hardly have been more securely packaged - I'm not a company rep, but use these smaller art supply companies, it's not a high-profit area of business and you'll find items here that even Jacksons and Great Art (Gerstaecker) don't stock.   Little can make my day more complete than the speedy arrival of three great fat tubes of oil paint.