School of Colour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Norrette I have seen some wonderful work done with “cheap” paint.  Don’t knock it.  It’s not the cost it’s the ability of the user.  It’s all about learning a skill being observant, imaginative and experimenting Throw your books away  pick up your cheapos put on some beat musi  and enjoy and create.  Oh forgot the G &T.  
Sylvia Evans on 16/09/2021 13:02:06
Thanks Sylvia, (G&T sounds a good idea, loosen up the inhibitions :) )
Yay…go girl. 
Cheap paint - hmmm.  Does it not depend a bit on what you mean by "cheap"?  I'm not keen on Winton paint - the student or second-rank range from W & N (oil, of course).  On the other hand, I've seen some glorious paintings by someone I exhibited with (whose name I've forgotten - it'll come to me, in a hour or three) who used Winton exclusively.   He painted, and I hope still paints, large pictures, for which a high quality paint would be prohibitively expensive for someone on a state pension (or worse).  I don't like using cheap oils, but - just buying expensive ones isn't going to make me a better painter; though they might ease the struggle a bit. I think watercolour may be a bit different - and acrylic (the latter don't strike me as being expensive anyway, when compared with oil).  There are good quality watercolour paints in most ranges - Cotman, Aquafine (according to Charles Evans), Jackson's, Bromley's, Talens.  I do get a bit sniffy about makers with huge ranges of convenience colours and some gimmicks, in which I'd include Daniel Smith (I know many are in love with them), and Old Holland; and with those tutors who still recommend PR83 (Alizarin Crimson), and Rose Madder Genuine - both of which are notoriously fugitive (but - sadly - beautiful; especially the RM Genuine).  But then, as some companies still offer Opera Rose - which is as lightfast as the water you've boiled your potatoes in - maybe permanence isn't always an issue for some.   Though it's sad to see paintings fade away to nothing - and some of the paints most likely to do this aren't cheap by any manner of means. I've been tempted in the past by those giant tubes of Pebeo oil paint - but have never bought one, because a) they're TOO cheap, I suspect, to be any good; and b) they don't have a great reputation.  However - always open to saving money - if anyone thinks they're just great, do tell me.  
White Knight are brilliant, on the cheaper side of middle of the range . 
I have bought those 200ml tubes of Pebeo oil paints in the past and there’s nothing wrong with them! Saying that, they wouldn’t be my first choice now, for value and quality I’d opt for Jackson’s Artist oils every time, they’re excellent! I’m not talking about their more expensive Professional range which are a step up from the Artists range, both are excellent to paint with!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Interesting - I'd assumed (should have read your articles more carefully) that you would use the professional range.   My only problem with many of these paint companies is that they include Zinc Oxide in so many of their mixes - e.g. with Naples Yellow, and very often there's an element of Zinc mixed into Titanium White.  I see that Michael Harding is withdrawing his Zinc White, while awaiting further analysis.  I won't bore on about it - it really irritates some people to be advised to avoid it, because of fears over delamination and cracking, particularly when they've been using it for half a lifetime with no obvious consequences.   But - I do try to avoid it these days.  Of course, you might wonder why I should worry about the long-term survival of my oil paintings: but that would be unkind!
Well I wrote a recent article in TA, a test report using Jackson’s Artist oils. (It was probably a few months ago at least). They obviously sent me the paints/colours that I requested to try out, but I was already familiar with them as it so happens! But… I’ve also been using their professional range as well, which are more expensive obviously, but excellent paints as you’d expect. I’ve got a good selection of most of the major brand names, MH, Old Holland, Rembrandt, W&N Artists etc.  However, for a good quality oil paint at a decent price, the Jackson’s Artist range will take some beating! I can’t fault them.
Thanks, I am also learning these art works and will be posting my art here for review very soon.
Showing page 2 of 2