Painting Plein air with Oils

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I’ve just received Haidee-Jo Summers latest book on painting plein air. It was only released a couple of weeks ago. I’ve just had a quick browse through it - it’s superbly set out, as was her first book, and full of her fabulous work, as well as describing her working practice… well worth getting, even if you’re not a plein air painter!
I enjoyed her first book Alan, In fact, I've had it out this week and have been reading through it again. Thanks for the heads up.
Thanks for the tip Alan. On a rather sleepless night I’ve just ordered a copy at 3.30 am!
You’ll enjoy it! Crammed full of illustrations and ideas for painting plein air, plus plenty of WIP demo’s. Haidee-Jo has a knack of spotting a potential subject that I would probably walk past without even a cursory glance…

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Well I really enjoyed her first book so I’m sure I will get a lot out of this one. She has an easy and informative style of writing.
I'm not a plein-air painter, wot wiv being not physically up to it, but ..... I shall certainly get this book.  I think the illustrations in the first one could be described as lavish, both in quality and quantity, and what I got from it was a determination to be less constrictingly conservative in colour - I noticed that almost all of my skies are blue, if only partially, for example; my late pen-pal Ken Bushe had written of the tyranny of "boring blue" and of painting the sky as a mere backdrop - I realized then that I'd fallen into that trap, and Haidee-Jo's book underlined it. (I'm conservative in more ways than that - I find Haidee-Jo's name a bit avant-garde to my tastes: I prefer names like Winifred; Agatha; Lavinia; Fred..... the basis on which the Empire was built! And I haven't even started on the G&T yet.....)

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

Thanks for the infomation, Alan. You recommended her book and dvd, to me, Vibrant Oils. I think her latest book will be well worth a purchase if her last one is anything to go by.