Tips on signing paintings

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Looking at the signatures of some of the top professionals, they don’t seem to be worried about how it looks. Two that come to mind are Fred Cuming and David Hockney! 
Alan Bickley on 18/05/2020 10:28:27
Too true, Alan. Personally, I don't care how a signature looks as long as it isn't so "loud" as to distract from the painting itself (which won't be an issue if one signs on the side/back). 
Instead of watering down Soft or Heavy Body acrylics, try using acrylic inks instead. They're acrylic paint in liquid form, so very intense colours, the thin paint aids fine lines and they're compatible with any other acrylic. Or try acrylic markers if you're signing a large painting. They're a 2mm line (bullet or chisel tip), so too thick for a small signature. Check out my upcoming articles on acrylic inks in Leisure Painter (Oct & Nov 2020), if you're not familiar with them. 
I've just been watching a (quite old) programme on attributing a Rénoir to the painter - every possible proof provided as to its genuineness except for one thing: the signature was lacking, because Renoir didn't sign his sketches ..... so however you sign a piece, do sign it somehow!  
I’ve never found it that easy to sign my work with oil paint, but there’s no other permanent way, and I’m well aware that its getting worse by the year! It is important to have a signature on the front, buyers expect this and I always include it on every painting. So, for stuff that goes into the galleries, I also type out all the relevant details/information that’s needed, obviously including my name, plus my signature in ink, and stick it on the back -  job done! 

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Showing page 2 of 2