thickening question

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
You are kind John. I tend to think it was a bit of a piddle taker.  I will hold my hands  up and apologise if I am wrong.  
I tend to think it was a bit of a piddle taker. 
Sylvia Evans on 08/11/2021 16:47:54
You may be correct.  But let's assume that it was a genuine enquiry. It will have taken some courage to pose such a question in one's first post.  He came in for some robust and frank responses!  He may thus have been scared off. I've been following this forum for some time, but have made few contributions, and not offered any of my pictures for scrutiny, for the reason above.  On the other hand, I have witnessed with great admiration how some members who, starting from nothing, have blossomed. I wonder if that would have been the case had they been 'advised' quite so 'authoritatively'! As to what the original poster was asking; it reminded me of a visit I once made to Longleat House.  The then Marquesses of Bath (it may still be the same one!) had painted all the panels in one (very large) room in the method described (ie oil 'squirted' directly on the surface).  It was very 'sculptural'.   I can't say I liked it and heaven only knows the cost involved, but it was his house and he liked it.  So who was I to pass comment?  All a question of personal taste.  :-) 
If you quoted me correctly Colin ,I also said if I was wrong I would hold my hands up.  I certainly don’t think it was “authoritative “ by any means . On re reading the thread several people took the time and effort to answer and make suggestions ,at no stage has the poser of the question made any effort to make comment or entered into discussion.  Hence my observation it could be someone taking the piss    This site is usually friendly and kind the question was asked, no response was given , hence my pithy comment.   
Quite a few of us took the time to suggest constructive options initially, including myself. I would have expected a reply from the author but none was forthcoming!
For all we know he may have contracted covid and died.  So perhaps we should let it lie.
A good idea Linda. Sorry you made me laugh. 
Try Googling him if you have some time to spare!
Interesting… 
That Marquess of Bath, Colin, is no longer among us; his descendants are reportedly less keen on his paintings than he was, and have removed at least some of them.  I suspect they were wise, but at least they gave his lordship pleasure at the time.   I am quite easily put off - as a child, the GP recommended I be referred to a psychiatrist, so easy was it to dissuade me from sticking with things - actually quite perceptive of him, because it was the onset of clinical depression.  (I should clarify that I was the child, not the GP.....)  So I do try not to put off other people - you never know what effect you might have. However, even I wouldn't have been put off by the reception given to this question - we did at least save him a great deal of wasted paint.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Showing page 3 of 3