thickening question

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Rereading this and other posts where someone has asked for advice or an opinion then they vanish into the ether. Ok so we made a few comments, but it isn’t very polite.  
It isn’t, and it was a hair brained idea anyway that would never materialise. Thinking about it again, it was almost verging on criminal to use paint in that way - or should it be ‘waste paint’ in that way!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Well - it's been done; I know I've seen acrylics in particular used in these thick, snaking shapes, by being squeezed straight from the tube.  I don't think the question was illegitimate so much as rather beyond our scope, in that we tend not to advise on waste, the futility of others' ideas, or the likely longevity of work done by unconventional means.  In practice, however, it would be extraordinarily expensive to do; harking back to the question itself, I think the poster understood that, and was seeking a way to do it without using pure paint. The only way to do that of which I can think would be to use a thick glue, or a texture paste, and glaze colour over it - or come to that, apply body colour over it.  I don't know if such a product is available, and I would doubt its long-term viability - but then, maybe long-term viability wasn't what was asked for.  It's a pity the OP didn't come back - but I wouldn't want to put him off - maybe he thought us a touch dismissive; or that his idea had been squashed, his project entirely undermined, or even his question answered?  
Well I think he was given some excellent suggestions considering the task, including from myself! It’s only polite to reply! I must confess that it’s not particularly my kind of art… no surprise there!
Always kind Robert ….I  also think he/she was a bit of a spoof. Jackson Pollock got interesting results with his copious amount# o& body paint. . On that note and thinking about the discussion we had about Tracy Emin I suppose JP was her predecessor.. nothing new .
Has to be said, most of Pollock's paintings - which I like, unlike just about everyone else I've ever talked to about them! - are falling to pieces: a conservator's nightmare.  
Didn’t he spray paint his own naked body and then  rolled around on a canvas?  At least he had fun in the creating of them.  I wonder why they are having problems conserving them.  
He used an unholy mix of different types of paint, including industrial paint, house paint, acrylic, oil (apparently) and didn't prime his canvases - there's not a lot a conservator can do with that - paint that just implores to escape the surface it's painted, or dropped, or dripped on.  
I wonder how much stuck to him.
One painter sprayed paint on naked women and rolled them about on canvas.  So I suppose he had a lot of fun doing it.  Then a again I vaguely remember a boyfriend in my 20’s painted my legs at a party…….
He wasn’t called Jackson was he Linda ?
I wonder if the original poster has been ill or unable to reply for some other reason?
Showing page 2 of 3