Taping for straight lines?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
I believe Peter may have the answer here…  I did think about suggesting an Edding 1800 profipen which has permanent ink, say 0.2 width, but wasn’t sure!
I don't know how mine will fare over time, they may fade but so far they've been OK. 
I use Frog tape also (yellow or green). I paint the sides of my stretch and box canvasses, as I hate them left white. It looks messy and unfinished to me.
Helen Martell on 28/04/2023 00:14:34
What colour do you paint them Helen? One of the colours in the painting? Something else?
Sandra Kennedy on 28/04/2023 07:25:40
Depends on the main picture, Sandra. Mostly a contrast colour to the painting, but sometime a continuation of the painting. I tend to paint the sides either first (if intending to be a single colour), or mid-way through the main picture. Once (bone) dry, cover with masking / frog tape, then continue with the painting.
Helen Martell on 28/04/2023 20:35:41
Many thanks Helen. I'd never thought of using a contrasting colour, might try that and see how it works.
Thank you again Alan and thank you too Peter, a white gel pen seems like the simpler solution.
I'll tell you what I do to get straight lines: I avoid doing them!  I had a commission three years ago to paint an evening sky over ... was it Croydon?  Forgotten.  Anyway, what he wanted was the cats' cradle of power lines shown against that sky - I've only got a poor photograph of it, so won't waste time showing it.  I puzzled over this damn' thing!  And of course, the lines weren't straight, they sagged in curves.... so a ruler was out, ink pens of any description no good in this case. What I did in the end was paint the lines in with dilute acrylic on a rigger, some of which sort of worked, others blotted and wobbled, and then reinstated the sky around them.  I'd tried everything else I could think of before doing that, but it did seem to work out in the end (I'm not sure the perspective did, but that's another story).   That worked for acrylic, it should work for oils, watercolour - I have a feeling that it might have been easier in watercolour anyway because of its extreme fluidity - but I'm in no hurry to try it. 
This has been an issue for me too with stretched canvas. I just carefully paint around the border, either in white or in the main colour of the painting. It works well if you direct the brush strokes towards the painting, which gives a fairly clean edge. 
ou can definitely use masking tape to help you out with those straight lines without messing up your painting. Just make sure the tape is suitable for acrylic and you're good to go! Hope this helps, and keep up the great work!
Showing page 3 of 3