Signatures on the painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
When it comes to the signature on a painting in acrylics, what medium/tool do people commonly use? Paint it with a brush, acrylic pen, simple pen, other?
For oils and acrylics, always sign your work with the same medium using a brush. With watercolour painting I often sign using a permanent ink pen such as the Edding 1800 range.
I tend to use a pen for everything and regard it as part of the painting. I usually place it bottom right but if compositionally and/or for balance it works better bottom left then that's where it goes. I have a friend who paints a bit out of the box and he places the signature wherever the fancy takes him. You sometimes have to search for it - it can be climbing upright going up a tree trunk or in the hem of a skirt or somewhere buried in foliage but it's always there if you search for it.
Yes, sorry Alan, I was referring to my watercolours. With acrylics I do use acrylic paint.
I Always sign in the medium I am using. I use my E Mail name, but not sure why !!! I was told to always keep it " small".
I just sign and date it on the back with a sharpie pen. never had complaints. I sell triptychs mostly, I usually sign the middle canvas on the back, just number the other two

Edited
by StuArty

Hi, I using the same medium appeared the better idea for me. Gel pens appeared weak.