Riverside Cottages re-visited.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Following a number of comments I have made a few tweaks to this piece. I hope these have taken it in the right direction. I am still finding difficulty painting shadows. Your advice would be appreciated. Cheers, Steve
There are passages in this piece that look positively quite brilliant albeit not my preferred style, however, having said that some of it is not so good, namely the green grass in the foreground, to my eyes it lets the piece down. A damn good painting for all that and considering that you have only recently took up painting. Shadows look fine, no problem there G.
Alan is spot on with that comment about the grass and of course he is damn good. Shadows in this piece are not particularly significant so don't worry, but give us your example of say a street scene with bags of light and shadow. Will try to help then.
Hi Steve , that's a fine piece of work for someone who has not been painting to long if you keep up this standard you will put us all out of work . I agree with Alan regards the green , mix up a couple of greens as in light , medium and dark and vary them throughout the piece ; I think your shadow is very good in the water . Just one more small thing that struck me what about more shadow work on the houses and pathways as I'm trying to figure out where the light is coming from . They're just my views and I still think it's a fine piece of work 😊
Alan & Dermot, Thanks very much for your kind comments and sound advice, it is very much appreciated. Derek, Thanks for your comments and yes I will consider more shadow in my next scene Thanks again, Steve
OK Steve, try finding an image on Google or another site that invites painters to use the subject. I often purloin other POL members images to try out if they appeal as long as they are aware and don't object. Some of dennis's pieces are worth trying.
Hello Syd, Yes I had envisaged the light coming from the top left hand corner with shadows cast on the roof to the sides of the dormer windows. The water is reflecting the reeds and the shadow is to the small wall on the left hand bank. Thanks, Steve