covering mistakes with acrylic

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Difficult if she is the only Tutor available but she is no good for you... better off without her.
I've never been on an art course - apart from one episode at evening classes, where I didn't bother going back as we were given newspaper to paint on and a brush resembling something you'd use to paste wallpaper . However, I would have thought it better for your tutor to let you carry on by yourself and occasionally walk past and suggest modifications. I now have a vision of you hanging on to your brush if she does it again and a tug of war ensuing (lol)
I think you have to ask yourself just what you hope to gain from this course and whether the tutor is going to provide that; whether you've paid or not. If you just want it to be an art group for meeting others and discussing your work then maybe you could get her to just leave you to get on but if you want instruction rather than being taken over then it's not for you. Some people find the only way they can show a technique to someone is to just dive in and take over. Sounds to me that she'd be better off demonstrating on a piece of scrap paper. If you stay then perhaps next time she tries to do this you could hand her a piece of paper and ask her to show you on that rather than on your work.
No, no, no, I hate, hate, hate anyone taking over my painting. Nicely ask her to show you on another piece of paper. Mind you she sounds a bit wet if everyone is doing something different .Ask her if she would do a class demo ,and if everyone is doing the same still life it begins to mean something..... No Patsy I cannot see you puting up with this. Paint brushes at dawn!!!!. (>) :-D :-S B-) (!) >:-( 8-) :'( :-( (^) (lol) 8o| :-> (?) :-| :D :$ *-) :-( :-) ;-) >:-) :-o
I went on an art course and had a tutor just like that. He had this group of ladies who plainly followed him around from class to class and they all sat there and bleated for help until he came over, sat down and effectively did the painting for them. I couldn't believe it as nobody touches my paintings, even if they are awful. One day he came over and tried this with me, he painted a bit and said, 'There do you see what I mean?' I said 'no - it wasn't what I wanted to do - I had planned my painting in a different way'. He looked like I had hit him, sharply retired and never touched my paintings again. I think you have to be bullish about it and if this tutor does approach and try to gain control of your brush, hold firmly onto it and say - I am sure I will learn more if you explain it to me in words and I will try out what you say (then if necesssary ignore the advice). I know what you mean about enjoying the group and continuing to go for that - just get the tutor under control!
In all my classes i have never took a students brush and done their work for them, this realy baffles me why people do it? As Blue said i use a spare piece of paper if needed.
Thank you Patsy for sharing your experience with us. Your tutor has something to learn : - A tutor shows his or her way of painting a subject. Colours - style. - Next either the learners follow the same pattern as the tutor because they do not know any other ways BUT, for the one who already got a style there is no way that it should be taken over by the tutor unless the person asks for it. Any way, enjoy the experience. ;-)
Is 'The Art Course' a hankering back to the comfort-zone of the primary-school class where we were all equally uninhibited about style colour, composition, perspective etc? Or is it we all want to paint like sheep? Or are we afraid of originality and feel unsafe as a lone artist? Horrors two people have asked if I would run a class for them....very flattering at one level...but horrifying at another...pointed them to The Artist/Leisure painter...after 25years and three of retirement the inner peace is back...
And from the Tutor's Perspective? An example 5 two hour slots...Full-Time...Part-Time [day]...and Evening Classes...all preparing for the same exam...all spread over the entire Mon-Fri week...classes of up to 30 persons aged from then 15 up to 60years...all preparing for the same profession...all being taught-shown-educated-trained...week one topic one...week two topic two....it was called science for hairdressers...it was me...it was 20yrs..[one third of my life]... Little room for originality...fine for the disciplined scientific mind...little room to introduce variety...the same concepts...the same images...the same thoughts...only the order of the words or the adjectives varied...The SAME practical projects... Artists are unique free-thinking original people with more ideas than a single life to use them all... You must allow artist-tutors to at the very least try to offer something different [occasionally]...something to take you outside your comfort zone...something to inspire them to be better too...some thing to inspire you to at least have a go...something from which both parties learn something from..perhaps? Perhaps students have greater expectations for result of a limited number of classes? Perhaps these expectations exceed ability? A bit like passing your driving test then learning how to drive your self in your own car...perhaps? It is what you do after the art-class that is important...
Is it ok to post paintings done on courses on the gallery - might be helpful for others looking for a course. I dont allways expect to come home with a painting finished but with the skills needed to produce one. Because there are lots of places and artists I admire in UK it is important to know that the course is suitable as the cost of some of these courses is quite steep , as is the cost of travelling etc.
Norah, I think it is quite OK to post paintings done on a course as long as you make it plain that this is what you are doing. I posted one recently done on an Andrew Pitt course, which was a copy of one of his demonstration pieces. I said so in my text - so I think this is fine and does show people good work that you have done on courses.
As an exercise...the scenario... You are persuaded to host an 'Art Course' for a a small group of people...in your favorite medium...on your favorite support [surface]...for just one day...4 two hour sessions..one coffee..one lunch...one tea-break. Now Just on the ART... What would you put into your programme? How would you organise it? How would you explain your art? How would you decide which student needs more attention? Course evaluation & introductions are assumed...location & catering too...
Showing page 1 of 3