acrylic inks

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I've already described how I use acrylic inks but just to remind everyone of the end results here is one I posted some time ago - now sold. http://www.painters-online.co.uk/gallery/art-view,picture_154335
Personally I'd suggest brushes for acrylics...I like to put the ink where I want it and as previously stated brush wear was noticed at the detailed level I work at, despite Rosemary's Ivory brushes hard wearing nature.

Edited
by philk2

All my latest work, which can be seen on the gallery and a painting on this thread which I posted have all been drawn and painted using acrylic ink. My brushes are mainly sceptre gold so all synthetic hair, just perfect for this ink but I don't see any problem with using sable if you so wish, just try them, simple as that.
Hi Sylvia.....I like my acrylics but how do you use your acrylic inks? I can see them as outliners, but how to create a picture I find that difficult to imagine...Which ink colours do you use, for instance?

Edited
by RuthDolan

Well Syd, thank you for your confidence in me but technical 'things' have never been my forte, however as I said in my earlier post to Ruth I don't treat them any differently to using watercolour. Yes, I usually put a few drops from the pipette onto well anything really, small remekins are my preferred choice and I do use a very limited palette, perhaps 3 colours at most, the one that I have posted today on the gallery was just a couple of colours with variations of those colours achieved by mixing. It is fair to say that they do thicken up a bit as they are lying there, and will dry out of course but as you may know I do work rapidly (something I have always done and I can't change), most of my recent work was completed at the scene and finished in around 30 minutes or so, give or take. Anyway, I do thin them with water on occasions, normally to dilute them if I am filling in large areas as you will see in my latest offering and this is the only way really to stop them drying out on you. So, to recap.... don't put too many different colours out at once, dilute as required and work like Jack Flash, good luck and come back to me if you have any more concerns. Alan.
Syd - I just popped Ellen into the gallery search box and up it popped - anyway to save you time here it is: http://www.painters-online.co.uk/gallery/art-view,picture_179896.htm
Been reading this with interest thanks as I may sign up for and abstract class at the same studio for the current life class and I fancy using inks on big paper.
I always use 300lb these days, virtually guaranteed not to cockle and for ink Syd I do use hot pressed, generally Fabriano Artistico which is currently my preferred choice, albeit I don't have any issues with SW but I hate Bockingford, I just can't get on with it, reminds me of blotting paper but some artists swear by it and produce great results. 140lb should be fine as long as you are not saturating the paper, and so what if you do get a bit of cockling, it's not that serious a problem is it?. Good luck.
Showing page 2 of 2