Celebrity art Challenge on B.B.C 1 tonight.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Marialla Fostrup and co put some celebrities through their paces in a 4 part paint challenge series starting tonight at 8-0;clock
Thank you Jim.
Yippee, more celebrities. Anyone we might have heard of or just another bunch of Z-Listers in need of some publicity.
Lawrence Llewellyn whatsit (turned out a very decent self-portrait) , Phil Tuffnell, Jane Seymour, a female model, a young lad (from a boy band?) and a woman I don't know. Lachlan Goudie, Mr orange overalls and the other female "helper" along with the Daphne the portrait painter lady and Mariella all telling the contestants to be clones and paint their way instead of leaving them to it and let them be creative. It winds me up a bit (as ever) when they call it a competition and don't let the contestants compete. For once, I really wish they'd do that.
Lawrence Hyphen-Hyphen turned out to be none-too-shabby with a paintbrush. D'yer reckon he'll come and paint the kitchen ceiling for me? I liked Phil Tuffnel's selfie too :-) What I thought was out of order though was the inclusion of a professional artist amongst the celebs. Plenty of people on Twitter were saying they'd seen Jane Seymour exhibitions and knew her stuff sold for decent money. As for the others - a bunch of Z-Listers desperately seeking publicity. Still, should be good to watch.
I'm still really wondering how there can be a "winner" in these sort of competitions? Oh, they're good fun to watch and probably the same to take part in, but where's the common denominator in art that isn't just personal preference on behalf of the judges? How can you judge a Picasso, Van Gogh style work against a Rembrandt or Constable, or even a landscape against a portrait? Would pictures in Daphne's house be the same as Lachlan Goudie's or Mariella or Diana or Mr Overalls? Would you even contemplate a sixty-something bloke, even your dad, (least of all him..:w00t: ) lying naked on a settee, hanging over your fireplace? Do they all hang their own paintings/selfie portraits on their walls at home? Even answers to these questions will differ person to person, so how.....?
I watched it on catch-up. I watched it because I tend to watch everything about art, even art forms I might not like. I thought there were some good attempts made. The bearded fella produced a workmanlike effort, and I liked a couple of the others. I must admit Jane Seymour's (the public choice) left me a little underwhelmed, although it was OK...I was expecting more after seeing examples of her other work. But fair's fair, this may not be the best environment for producing your best work. The one that did impress is Phil what-his-name's 'abstract' self-portrait...I thought he turned a complete lash up into something interesting. It may not be what the judges were after, but that, in itself, is enough to recommend it. Not too impressed with the 'mentors' (I googled them and they produce exactly the kind of art I have no interest in.) I'm fairly lukewarm about the judges. So situation normal as far as I'm concerned, I shall watch more. Jim's right about 'winners'. What constitutes art is an entirely personal thing for all of us.
I was actually a bit disappointed ( very actually) to hear Daphne say "Paint what you see, not what you imagine you see!" To me that is a typical portrait painter dogma when painting for customers. We all paint portraits at times, or attempt to, but the fun is in how we see them surely, or otherwise we'd just produce a sheet of stamps?? The remark sort of killed off any real creativity (which Phil, who in true Phil fashion either ignored or was incapable of any different, did actually manage) and made it all so commercial sounding and as far away from creative art as is photography. Sort of set the tone of what to expect from judging.
Part Two: Celebrity Paint Challenge. B.B.C.1 8-0'clock tonight. (8-30 in Wales)
.... and aerial perspective beat most of them
I didn't see the point of the digital stuff. Clever and skilful it may be, but this wasn't the place for it. A different dimension. I may be disagreed with which is fine, but I also didn't enjoy comitting the fruit and vegetable section of Asda or somewhere to canvas and calling it landscape painting. Probably just me. Once it was out of the way, I did see six people basically enjoying themselves and painting their own way. I enjoyed that, that's what art is for. Sorry about this, but Daphne gets on my wick. It isn't her painting we need to see, but the amateurs and she is a photographer with a paintbrush; brilliant in her field, but for me she discourages rather than encourages the contestants to be artists. I've actually warmed to Lachlan because of his more honest approach and being brave enough to disagree with her. What did strike me; a beautiful day and a big cloudless blue sky that hardly any of them, Jane Seymour apart, used. There was a real feeling of architecture overpowering nature and a sense of crowded presence that seemed to inspire worry rather than joy.. Hey, it's a programme about painting, and they are rare enough outside of Youtube, so no more complaints....😆
I must say I'm warming to this show...the word 'celebrity' usually puts me off. They all look capable of producing interesting art (based on what is shown of their home work), and I've liked some of the work produced 'on-show'. For the second time it was Phil Tufnel who came out tops for me. I think that Daphne is stuck in a rut, but the Goudie fella seemed much more open this week. I like the Llewellyn fella's effort, but I have the feeling his work won't change much... if that matters...but he's said he wants to change. I wouldn't like to work in the conditions they do, so I think they are doing well. I caught the Knowles show today...three interesting artists. I shall watch again.
Showing page 1 of 3