Portrait beginning

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Tim Benson is a nod to Lucien Freud but with more colour. I like a lot of portrait artists, one being Ewan McClure. That came out a bit gruff, it wasn’t meant to be 😁

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

It was once a fairly common practice to pick out the features with  Terre Verte and lead white, and then glaze over them in layers of flesh tones: I did that once as an exercise - while my portrait was really no more than a sketch, if a slightly complicated one, the technique worked.  Brief explanation - get the basic drawing done; paint over that with Terre Verte; pick out the details with preferably lead white (it dries faster, is more transparent, much less likely to cause problems with the over-painting than Titanium [and I know - first find your lead white....] ) then paint your flesh colours, perhaps Burnt and Raw Sienna, many variations available, over that, adjusting as you go, thinning the colour out here, thickening and emphasizing it there.  Works in acrylic, too. Now I'm off to check on the work of Tim Benson. 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 14/11/2021 11:31:25
It is not necessary to use terre verte/cobalt green only by glazing. You can apply them into your flesh red. Of course, remember to separate your brushes. I would suggest the base layers should be thick enough especially at bright areas. Lead white is really great. It can dry your paint faster, less opaque and more ‘standing’. I may use it to make the highlight area thicker. In case it is not thick enough I will add some calcium carbonate to make my paint more standing and transparent. After setup the general warm/cool, red/green, you may further adjust them by glazing. And please note that in region of ‘warm’ there are always something ‘cool’, vice versa.
Tim Benson is a nod to Lucien Freud but with more colour. I like a lot of portrait artists, one being Ewan McClure. That came out a bit gruff, it wasn’t meant to be 😁
Marjorie Firth on 14/11/2021 16:42:35
Yes, I agree. Tim is a nod to Luicen Freud. I want to see Lucien Freud art pieces by my own eyes. I want to study how he use the colour.
The Credit Suisse Exhibition Lucian Freud: New Perspectives 1 October 2022 – 22 January 2023 Kenneth if you are near London or visiting this is in the National Gallery right now.   I saw it ten years ago in Liverpool Tate. A must. 
The Credit Suisse Exhibition Lucian Freud: New Perspectives 1 October 2022 – 22 January 2023 Kenneth if you are near London or visiting this is in the National Gallery right now.   I saw it ten years ago in Liverpool Tate. A must. 
Sylvia Evans on 14/11/2021 18:44:50
Oh thanks, let me check the details :)
Showing page 2 of 2