Galactic Foliage

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Pastel abstract. Do you have any suggestions?
Are you intending to keep your, Galactic Foliage, as a pastel painting? I would be tempted to make some bright tissue paper cut outs of various sizes and paste them on. Butterflies, maybe, I can already see a few in there. We all see different things in other's work, I hope you find what you're looking for to complete this piece.
What about some black thistles to add contrast.
That's lovely suggestion, Denise. Barrie's work has reminded me of the effects that can be produced by, Brusho crystals. The leaf effect was done by using a mild bleach solution on dried leaves then pressed on to the Brusho background when dry. Thanks for the inspiration, Barrie.
Well, I'm astounded by the creativity suggested. I think your abstract is fantastic, C. Jones. I'd better explain my Galactic Foliage. The aim is to produce something eye catching; hence bright colours. I found myself on a path beneath overarching tree branches. Looking upwards you could only see leaves and occasional glimpses of the bright sky. I took a photo and printed it. Then I painted the pastel based on the photograph, but using all complementary colours. I thought the patterns of the colours looked rather like the pictures you see of the stars and galaxies. Hence the title, "Galactic Foliage". I intend it to remain a pastel painting. However, I would like to know to produce abstracts like yours, C. Jones. Thanks for your comments, Denise and C. Jones.
Hi Barrie, Galactic Foliage is a wonderful description of what you saw and a marvellous title to go with it. Keep the original thought about the patterns and colours, search for some galactic images online, myths and legends would be a good place to start see what comes up, maybe something will capture your imagination to enhance your image, and can be adapted to make your work even more an individual piece of work. I look forward to seeing your final image I created the leafy abstract by using a sheet of A3 Bristol Board then selected the colours I fancied of Brusho crystals, sprinkled them for the effect I had in my mind then spritzed the surface with water, some parts wetter than other bits, lifted it and allowed the mix to run in different directions. A few gentle brush strokes here and there for mass, and a few squiggles with a fine brush. When dry I took a few dried leaves brushed the backs with bleach solution, as the leaf structure can show through, if its not as light as you require add a little more bleach to the imprint and dab off again with kitchen roll until you're happy with the result. Now I've done this I will be adding a haiku poem, but a one line format, of the haiku verse. At the moment I can't show the poem as it is being entered to a haiku journal. If I post it now, it will be considered as a submission. I hope others will help with your quest, Barrie. Keep posting.  

Edited
by C Jones

That's an amazing Brusho painting, C. Jones. I hadn't heard of Brusho, so some learning is necessary. Thanks for the information. By coincidence, I was out walking yesterday with my friend Harukiyo, originally from Kyoto. He has begun to write haiku in Japanese, but is aware of the different North American and British styles. After the walk he sent me this:  walking lively conversation nice smiles of friend We'd love to read your haiku, when possible. It was really rewarding to receive your feedback.
You are a fortunate person to be sent poetry such as this, it is a wonderful non seasonal verse and captures an essence of the moment while out walking. There is a difference between this ancient verse written by poets in the east and west, when written in their native language eg Japanese, Chinese, here in the west we try and keep the syllable count to seventeen or less to present a feeling or emotion, on times including a seasonal reference. Its a very complex form, but one that has caught my imagination, and millions of others over the decades. If the verse is or is not accepted then I'll have the go ahead to post it here. I hope you'll both like it :) I'm happy you found the feedback rewarding, Barrie.