A sketch of an idea.....What should I add to this when making it painting, please?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Sylvia Evans on 16/09/2022 20:56:25
Ah...erm....oh.... I'm really not sure when I will make a painting of it, so please just 'subscribe' to the thread, and I will come back with something. (I've got so many things I want to do, and so many I'm progressing, I was posting this sketch as an idea at this stage to glean some thoughts from you kind folks, so that I can then ponder on it. Some ideas I just get on and do, others I let slowly form, and as this was a very recent plein air sketch, my curiosity drove me to ask the question)
Me too (looking forward to it, that is).  It's a very good drawing, by the way - in your place, I should be inclined to make several studies of it: in watercolour, in oil or acrylic, and maybe in line and wash.  I can see appealing versions of it in all of them.  
Robert Jones, NAPA on 16/09/2022 21:49:29
Thank you Robert. I'll be using either ink and wash, or straight into watercolour. This original ink sketch doesn't do justice to the score (chisel?) marks on the post, so I may try to avoid too many ink lines.
What an interesting find Gerry. I like your existing background and sketchy grasses, but would probably also move it to the left of centre. If you want it to appear 5ft tall which is obviously an important and interesting part of it, you need to do something to emphasise that in its surroundings.  Look forward to the next stage! Lovely subtle drawing by the way.
Tessa Gwynne on 17/09/2022 07:44:49
Thank you. I do want to achieve a feeling of it's solidity, age and character, but have to figure out how best to avoid making it too 'looming'. It's intriguing to have it punctuate the background hedgerow, but I need to keep perspective and eye level in mind. Thanks for your thoughts. 
Showing page 2 of 2