WIP - Storyteller (and use of reference material)

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
You've really captured a character there.  Not sure if it is from Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit!  Excellent.
Thank you Anth, Tessa and Steve.  He was meant to be somebody telling a yarn around a campfire, that's what was in my head.  I like fantasy, so if you see it as a Tolkien figure that's great, Steve.  The point was to use a ref photo not as a straight copy, but to use info in the reference pic to create my own character.
I missed this whole thread somehow, until today.  Fascinating to see how you work in these stages - I think how we draw and paint is entirely up to us; some say work over the whole picture rather than concentrate on one bit at a time - can't say I've ever really done that - others say 'start with the eyes', or 'start with the main object, the focal point' - some insist on an 'underpainting', to be built on - others counsel just going in and doing it without any obvious stages: i.e. they may not finish the picture in one sitting, but it's tiredness rather than technique which causes them to stop and pack it in for the day. Though ten years younger than your good self, I rarely manage to finish a painting in one go because the osteo-arthritis doesn't permit: if I try working through the pain, which of course one does to some extent, it reaches a crescendo ... I get irritable, and exhausted, and then of course the work would suffer if I were to persist.  So I don't - but that's not technique, that's just being knackered....   Now, what on earth was the point I was driving at........?  That's another thing about getting older: memory fade!   Well, I don't know!  But manufacturing a point anyway, I think that when artists write about their methods (or, in that doom-laden phrase, "my practice", as if it were somehow just TERRIBLY special) we're all making virtues out of necessity or habit: we do what we do because that's the way we do it; others may imitate if they wish, but on the few occasions on which I've taught or mentored anyone else, I've said the best advice I can give is to look for shapes and volume: and direction of light.  Beyond that, do it your way.  Perhaps this is why I tend to get sniffy about art colleges - that and inverse snobbery, because I didn't go to one. ....... So it's always going to be interesting to see works in progress, at least for fellow practitioners - and it can help others, too, e.g. by finding an approach one had never considered before.  But the best artists, of whom I believe Lew to be one, do it their way - and look upon dogmatic advice indulgently, but have no intention of being bound by it. 
Fascinating as ever, Robert.  Thanks for the kind words about me.  I learned early on that there was no 'one' way to work.  I've had no art college training.  Years back I started a two week adult education course in oil painting, didn't like it.  After about 4 evenings tuition, the tutor brought in some of his work 'to show us what he meant by his comments.'  We all realised he was trying to teach us to paint like him.  Art is about choice, I didn't choose to paint like him, and left early. Illustration was my first love, so library books by illustrators was my source on 'how to.'   Quickly you learn there are many ways to paint and draw, confusing at first, but also liberating.  The way I draw, let's not call it a method, is similar to the work process of illustrators I admire.  A sort of 'pick and mix' at the sweet shop.  All you can do is what works for you.
Showing page 2 of 2