WIP She. I hope I don't raise any eyebrows.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Very good, the face is amazing, and I like the 'steam punk' cross with the rivets - also very different. 
You haven't raised my eyebrows - I'm rather good at waggling them: reverting to the Marx Brothers again: I'd try walking like Groucho, but I'd only put my back out - but you have caused me to wonder whether I much like this or not.  Crucifixion, even stylized, as your painting is, is a grisly subject - it was horrendously cruel.   I don't have any religious problems with it, because I don't have any religion; I had once though, and don't think I'd have had any strong theological objection to it. Still, I have been accused of over-thinking things - mind you, given most people UNDER think, I'm not so sure that's a vice....  I admire what you've done here, but I'd be happier if you didn't make a theme of it, if that makes any sense to you.  I shall work out my problems with the picture in due course .... won't necessarily burden you with my tortured thinking processes: I think what makes me uneasy is that it's heavier on the symbolism - whose meaning isn't necessarily entirely clear to me - than on the reality of a hideous, primitive torture.   Technically, it's another step on your journey - a diversion, perhaps, as well - but taken as a work of art, or a statement of belief or principle, it's leaving me a bit ambivalent.  
Thanks for your thoughts Robert. I am not particularly religious although I respect most religions. I naturally question a lot in life in all manner of subjects. In this I am trying many things such as how to replicate metal, fabric and such, I'm trying to push some of the techniques I have been doing. It is a strong image and there could be many reasons why I choose such. I think people will make what they want from it. For me, I enjoy seeing it develop and feel I am gaining really good experience from doing such a large piece. Maybe people shouldn't read more than that into it but if it causes discussion, discussion makes people think and question.
Very good indeed, Denise!  Your progress shines through.  However I would not like it on my walls.  It goes against my atheism and my otherwise Japanese and American themes.
Showing page 2 of 2