Using clingfilm.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
I've done a bit more to the second picture - it's growing on me!
Really interesting post Peter and I think you are getting good results. I've enjoyed reading everyone's input on this topic.
Peter, I think you're confirming me in my prejudices, because I'm sure you COULD have done all that - and probably better, to be honest - with a brush or painting-knife.  It is fun of course to play with different techniques, but .... well; must be honest; I think most of the time we're a lot better off without most of those involving kitchen equipment...
At the moment I agree Robert, I'm only doing it because I was challenged to last week and I don't think you should dismiss something until you've tried it. I don't see me doing it again though, it fees like a gimmick.
Naturally I was far too impatient to wait until tomorrow so after five hours I peeled off the clingfilm. The paint hadn't dried so I waited another hour by which time it was hard. There was some texture but less than with the thick paint. I painted in a simple sea background.  When the rocks were dry I dry-brushed them in white to highlight the texture and then added some shadows, but nothing more. This is the result: It looks OK but I don't think there is any great advantage over simply painting them, and it's very unlikely that I'll want to paint many more rocks anyway. 
Showing page 3 of 3