Triptych

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Do these work together?  They need attempting again I think especially the bouquet
What nice pieces of work Caroline.  I think they woukd work happily as single pieces.  To me a triptych is more continuation of more detailed work...eg a landscape continuing.  Could be quite wrong, but I often am. 
What is the February Challenge
Carole, scroll down past the forum rules to " join in". You'll see the Feb challenge.
What is a triptych (apart from being something I have to take several attempts to spell)?  For my money (which I'm keeping close to my chest) it's three panels, the central one being the most powerful, the other two serving it.  I'm sure that's a very prescriptive definition, though - and yet, I think that would be the most satisfying arrangement.  So, in this case, I would put the strongest composition in the centre, which would probably be the painting on the right ...  But: other opinions are available!
Good point. I like the middle one best which is why I had it in the middle
A triptych is a painting made up of three sections. Such constructions are usually made of two 'wings' or 'shutters' attached to either side of a central panel. Sometimes the panels are hinged so that the wings can be closed to protect the major image painted in the middle. This is how I have always thought of a triptych Caroline.   In my very umble  opinion  you have three nice watercolour paintings  I noticed you have two of them framed ...saw on the gallery so to be academic they are three separate pics on a similar subject . . If you frame them altogether in the same frame yes maybe... in that case Roberts suggestion is a good one . Here are three flowery things of mine all in identical frames.  But it isn't a triptych ...it's three paintings...I know...call me pedantic.  Though you are quite at liberty to disagree 🌻

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

If I can put my humble opinion in😃….a while ago I did a triptych of 3 small paintings. They form a continuous “ view” but also stand alone. With flowers etc obviously this would be different but they must be “ allied” to each other I think.
That's how I read it Marjorie...
Lovely paintings! And yes you are quite right. There must be a collective term for paintings intended as a group. My final version is attached. 
Collection !