"Silent Witness" ~ graphite drawing

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I've been working for last week, so I didn't draw anything to be honest, too busy then tireness was killing my motivation...So I have blocked in the whole background yesterday... This art isn't meant to be a copy of natural environment, but some expression of my mind rather. Therefore the background is not meant to represent any of trees, bushes or any other than being a solid black... I like the viewer to be focused onto the main subjects only. The bear - that's my aim in here. I would like to achieve to make the bear staring at the viewer, with his small deadly eyes... To get the feeling just right, that a predator is staring at me, and considering me as a potential prey to hunt down next... The foreground skeleton is to support the meaning of the picture... I like it to support the certain oncoming ... Sort of the message of what's going to happen and what outcome will be ... I'm not sure if I can do anything to express what I want, as the bear has no face mimics rather, other than as it is... Well, let see if I'll achieve the effect I'm after 😊 Otherwise it will be just a simple and not too interesting drawing..., where the bear is just looking forward 😉

Edited
by PogArt Ti

Well… The time has come ~ I’ve received the iPad yesterday… It took me a while, you know, playing with settings everything, eventually managed to do some drowing today… I hate myself while I’m doing so, but the digital drawing it’s so engaging indeed. It’s actually putting me off the drawing desk, I hate it. I’m not sure if I’m doing right or wrong, but I started same drawing once again on my iPad now. I did some drawings~digital drawings in past and this joy is coming back again. I can do loose sketching I can do details same way as on the paper, but with more perfection as I can reverse or forward each stroke if I need to and let me compliment perfection… I’ve got the paper artwork still on the desk, so I can come back to it whenever I want to, but please forgive me as I’m tempting a lot to finish this drawing off digitally… This is a fresh start done today. I have started on blank canvas, I’ve transferred outlines over it and as you can see, I’ve started filling up the background with digital charcoal brush. I’m digitally drawing Old Fashion Way ~ always. So no any tricks are involved into my digital artwork,other than simply advantage of drawing on the digital display,and using the software Old Fashion Way ~ to achieve the goal…

Edited
by PogArt Ti

I feel a bit like the person (actually, twit) who shouted "Judas!" at Bob Dylan when he got the electric guitar going.  Daft, of course - he was, and I am, to take such a disparaging view, but if I had the power, young Pog, I'd make you stick to "proper" drawing... However: I have discovered today - it's been coming on for a long time - that I can no longer stand up to paint; short of drugging myself up to the eyeballs, there's nothing I can do about it.  I do have an Ipad - a second hand one.  I would think of employing it for drawing; snag is, I entered the wrong password too often, and am locked out of it.  I know what I need to do to get back in: but I now hate, resent, and fear the thing..... Well, that's more than enough from Castle Weird, and I hope your endeavours prove successful whatever you're using.  Just don't let the thing take over your life, that's all....
I feel a bit like the person (actually, twit) who shouted "Judas!" at Bob Dylan when he got the electric guitar going.  Daft, of course - he was, and I am, to take such a disparaging view, but if I had the power, young Pog, I'd make you stick to "proper" drawing... However: I have discovered today - it's been coming on for a long time - that I can no longer stand up to paint; short of drugging myself up to the eyeballs, there's nothing I can do about it.  I do have an Ipad - a second hand one.  I would think of employing it for drawing; snag is, I entered the wrong password too often, and am locked out of it.  I know what I need to do to get back in: but I now hate, resent, and fear the thing..... Well, that's more than enough from Castle Weird, and I hope your endeavours prove successful whatever you're using.  Just don't let the thing take over your life, that's all....
Robert Jones, NAPA on 14/11/2023 18:30:47
Thank you dear Robert for your thoughts indeed. I know exactly what you mean ~ I’m really do. Let me join this adventure for now, we’ll see whether I enjoy it or leave it. I used to practice digital art on my computer few years ago, so this is my second go. Just learning curve at the moment to be honest… You can tell by looking at the example above 😉👍

Edited
by PogArt Ti

I’m struggling to understand the difference, I sense the feeling, but hard to explain. I’ve just found on the same website different sets of products with designed brushes for graphite drawing that’s mimicking the real feel of laid graphite mark, including textured paper canvas - I’m tempting. It’s because the only thing is missing from this digital experience is the feel of the paper’s surface tooth… The background on my paper artwork has different feeling … It is exactly same - pitch black, but looks different as the paper tooth is showing sort of dimension… On this digital piece that sense of dimension is vanished in my opinion… I’m not going to carry on this digital try anymore. I have tested it to see how it would look like if made digitally. I’m just practising and experimenting now, and this was easiest way to let me compare digital to graphite on paper. I’ve done skull shading today, plenty shapes to deal with, it’s been great exercise to get familiar with digital shading. That’s it for now, next progress shared will be the REAL GRAPHITE back again  Thank you for your interest to comment dear friend.

Edited
by PogArt Ti

Exactly my thoughts, Pog. It's the feel of physical painting that is enjoyable. Can I suggest you remove your source image from above. For reasons I can explain through a pm ( personal message)
Exactly my thoughts, Pog. It's the feel of physical painting that is enjoyable. Can I suggest you remove your source image from above. For reasons I can explain through a pm ( personal message)
Norrette Moore on 17/11/2023 09:50:24
Thank you Norette for your keen comment. It’s been couple of days I’m exploring digital art~working, and It’s confusing me for the reason you have mentioned. I do enjoy it, the *tech nature and effortless, on the other hand it’s not gonna replace the real feel of drawing on the paper. So I am carry on at my real graphite creativity as a main artwork source, and the digital will be the backup experience that I can do when not drawing on my art desk… The truth is I do enjoy both, but none of them can fully replace the other. Today’s update - the skull progress. I’m really losing those tiny shapes, curves visible around the skull, so I’m trying my best to map them as they are, but it is not 100% accurate at all…
Showing page 2 of 2