"Standing Rock Peacock"

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
A fascinating process, demonstrating digital's ability to change things easily.  I was wondering how you decide on your composition at the very first stage.  I'd imagine drawing a number of thumbnails with different layouts in pencil, but perhaps you can do that entirely with the digital app.  At the initial stage are the various elements already on different layers, the peacock, rock, trees etc, so you can move things around to try different layouts? The changes are interesting to observe.  The tufts of grass in the foreground mostly changed for rocks.  The various broken rocks around the base of the pillar rock.  The rock itself.  I particularly like the trees.  I understand that you can make brushes for leaves, or groups of leaves...is that what you mean by a 'stamp' brush?  You said you need to collapse the layers before saving.  Doesn't your app allow you to save the file with the layers intact?  My knowledge of digital is about 25 years old, my ancient version of photoshop elements allows me to save the layers, something I find very useful in making changes...maybe this isn't necessary with modern digital software and you can change  things anyway? A great result Eric.  Thanks for sharing.
In the very first stage Lewis I draw out everything on the First Layer.. I often use a Color Gradient Tool for the initial back ground colors.. You can choose the colors you want, at least 3 or 4, play with or adjust the opacity.. and then just draw a line across the canvas in the direction you want them to lay down, and it sets down the color.. There are lots of erasers and blenders that make changes pretty easy.. I don't usually have to use them too much.. Yes exactly, that is what stamp brushes are. Bunches of leaves or clouds or whatever shapes you want, blades of grass, water ripples etc... You can customize your own brushes or download custom brushes that other artist have made if they offer them for sale or free download... You can save individual layers, delete them, add them... but I am referring to when you reach a natural stopping point, you should collapse your layers into one image so not to lose any progress or rather digital information.. then save.. You can always start where you left off..
Nice artwork indeed, lovely colours throughout, shadows making things look natural, and it’s interesting composition. My weakest point regarding digital arts is ~ layers… I’m aware how to use it in advance, but because I’m not practicing, it always becoming out of my comfort zone. Well done Eric. Art.
Thanks, Art...
Showing page 2 of 2