Portrait Painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Frank, as a portrait it works very well. The mouth stops it from catching a perfect likeness but she has a presence - forget about the photo. I’m hovering towards a portrait…and I know who it will be. The question is, do I just enjoy the “ doing” or do I get exasperated when I go for the likeness? We’ll see.
Well done, young sir.  The only way to get good with portraits - or at least, to get a likeness, is to keep doing the beasts: get friends to sit for you (really is easier than self-portraiture - we know ourselves too well, or think we do, and although we have the patience to sit that others might not have, it really is hard work); study other people's portraits; buy a book or two, and study videos; work from plaster casts if you can, just to get the weight of the head and its depth and height broadly right; forget those rigid measurements we were all told about in school - they led me right up the garden path, until I noticed I was basically painting eggs.....  And - take your time, and frequent breaks.   This advice is so easy to give!  All I've got to do now is take it....  I did find that using the Zorn palette helped me a lot: much less to have to worry about.  
Showing page 2 of 2